Sunday, May 14, 2023

Five Inch Squares--post 2

Paired  squares

First, let me wish all the moms a Happy Mother's Day! Whether you have human or fur babies, I hope each of you has a wonderful day!

This quarter, our book club is reading, "The Wives" by Tarryn Fisher. It's a suspenseful novel written with a dark/sad side. The reader will discover one of the characters has mental health issues. My library had an audio version. The book was a fast listen!

People have definite opinions on this book. On the day our group met, the consensus was that it was a book none would recommend.  

Placing the ruler 
When I consider options for a book club quilt, I want to make a project that I would hang and enjoy in my home. When a book has a dark side, it can be a challenge to find inspiration that doesn't read "dark!"

Last month, I posted about the 42 five inch squares that I won from Preeti/Sew Preeti Quilts. From the day that I opened her e-mail, sewing those squares into a top was a priority. ---I decided these squares could represent the character Tuesday. We later learn her name is Hannah. 

Fabrics cut
I pondered what new technique or pattern to use. A photo on Pinterest inspired me. Fortunately, there was a link to a tutorial on YouTube. The pattern was called Let's Do the Splits!. ---Hmmm. . . Splits could represent the mental health aspect.

From my stash, I selected a dark purple batik that has been in my stash for at least a decade to be the background fabric. ---Hmmm. . . .That dark purple could represent the character Thursday who the reader later learns struggles with mental illness.

Leaving a small triangle
I pre washed the blocks which didn't bleed. I'm glad I pre washed the background because it bled! I did three soakings of the fabric in Synthrapol before I had clear water.

After I dried and pressed the background fabric, I cut it into 42 five inch squares. Next, I paired each square with a background fabric. I placed the fabrics right sides up.

The information in the tutorial suggested lining the blocks up on the lines of the cutting mat and cutting from the three inch mark from the top and the bottom of the square.

Squaring up the blocks
I have a 60mm rotary cutter. I found that I could easily cut eight squares at a time. Once I cut the squares, from the right stack, I removed the top fabric and placed it on the bottom of the right stack. I took the stacks to the machine and began to chain the fabrics together.

I paid careful attention to ensure that I had a small triangle that peaked out of each end. It took me several blocks before I was able  to find the right amount of triangle to show to have the fabrics at the beginning and at the end of the seam to be flush with each other! I pressed the seam allowances towards the dark side. 
Auditioning different block layouts

Again, using the lines on my mat, I trimmed each block to four inches. Using the cutting lines on my mat was a new experience for me. I am notorious for cutting a size or angle other than what the pattern states.To thwart those sorts of errors, I place a bit of  painter's tape on the mat so I use the same cutting lines. I had no errors!

Trimming was an interesting process. Again, the tutorial directions were to use the lines on the cutting mat. What I liked about that process was that I "eye balled" the half inch or the quarter inch mark using the cutting lines. This method helped me center the design. Then, I placed my ruler and made the appropriate cuts. Again, I had no errors. 
Pinwheel layout

I played around with different layouts. I decided the design that I liked best was the pinwheel design with the fabrics in the pinwheel being the same. Pinwheels have a spinning feel and the book had some interesting spins!

Finished top auditioning back possibilities
Next, I cut 36 four inch squares from the background fabric. These squares created a border around the design. I webbed the blocks together. I like webbing because I have less opportunities to orient a block or row incorrectly. In a short time, I had a top!

I like the brightness of the top. It measures 40 inches wide by 48 inches tall. This is a great size for a baby. I explored my stash for a backing and binding fabrics. 

Finished back
I located two multi-colored batiks that could work. There wasn't enough of either. I considered adding a minty batik fabric to the mix. I like pieced backs and I really like using up from the stash! For the binding, I'm planning to use the background fabric.

Before my Zoom sew session with my small WIPs group on Monday, I had sliced all of the squares. While I chatted with them, I sewed the squares, laid out the design and webbed it together. It took me about four hours to stitch this top. It was a fast project!

When I stepped back to view the finished top, I liked that the pinwheels tessellate. I may try to quilt those background pinwheels in a way to represent the character, Monday, in the book. 

I did us the second batik fabric as a simple piecing design enabled me to use the entire piece. I used that mint green batik to make the back big enough. I also cut a piece for the quilt sleeve and I cut and prepared the binding.

Playing with the squares that Preeti sent me was goal number eight on my May list. Since these are scraps, I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. Cynthia inspires me every week to use those scraps!

If you want to participate in the Positively Quilt A Long that Preeti is hosting, read her blog post. She has outlined the schedule. It begins May 28. Are you in?



2 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely quilt, and great use of the batik scraps and backing fabric! Sorry the book was a stinker, but the quilt it inspired is terrific!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What an interesting project, to go with an interesting book, Terry! Although none of your group would want to recommend it, you made me curious. Your dark blue background is pretty with the bright Batiks, and I like the pinwheel shapes, too. Happy finishing!