Sunday, May 7, 2023

aMAZEd is a Top!--Post 2

Repairing yet another oops
This week, I worked to finish making the blocks for the maze quilt that I designed. I posted about its origins here at the end of March. My goal last month was to finish the top. I made progress; but, didn't finish!

I did get better with following my plan; but, I still managed to: sew blocks with the same fabric next to each other; or, sew a block out of order; or, sew the block upside down; or, miscount the number/placement of blue blocks.

I spent a lot of time repairing each error! In the end, I stitched 1,536 two and a half inch squares together. This number included 335 blue squares. All of the fabrics were leftovers. I had to use three different blue fabrics in order to have enough blue squares! The top measurers 64 inches wide by 96 inches long.

I will cut some of the remaining strips into leader/ender blocks. I've been making Bonnie Hunter's Triple Treat blocks since October. So far I've stitched about twenty five six inch blocks. 

These bags were once packed with scraps
My scrap box was overflowing before I started. Now the lid closes easily. I have a number of almost empty zip lock bags that used to house the two and a half inch strips and squares. The next section of scraps that I need to attack is the two inch strips and squares. Although, it will be some time before I go there! 

Finished aMAZEd top
This top is a little like an I Spy quilt. There are blocks of leaves, hearts, stars, a chicken, a dog, a couple of bears and a number of yellow taxi cabs sprinkled throughout the top. This project was the perfect spot to use many of my personal pre cuts that were too patterned or contained too many colors to be used in another project. It was also the spot to use the squares that I had one of two of that fabric remaining. I did a lot of walking down memory lane while stitching the fabrics!

I don't have a plan for the back. No doubt, there will be a suitable candidate in my stash. I don't have a solid plan for the quilting either. Likely, I will use a variegated thread and my walking foot. I am loving the fact that the top used about six and three-quarters yards of scraps!

I was inspired to make this project because of a bingo block that I made for a virtual retreat and because of the book that our book club read, "The River of the Gods: Genius, Courage, and Betrayal in the search for the source of the Nile" by Candace Milliard.

I came up with the maze concept because the explorers were in a maze trying to get funding, supplies, transportation and manpower to make the expedition. I was amazed at their will power. Hence, the name and the odd use of caps in word.

This was goal number two on my May list. I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. Please visit and see what other scrappy projects people are sharing.




3 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Terry, Amazed is just amazing! That is the most fun kind of scrappy quilt with lots of fun fabrics and prints to look at. I enjoyed reading about your inspiration for this quilt, too! Congratulations on getting Amazed to this stage!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow -t hat is coming along!! but what a lot of pieces!! I can't believe you counted !

Rebecca Grace said...

Congrats on your finish, Terry, and on moving those scraps OUT! I am definitely doing something wrong over here because the more I try to work from my scraps, the more scraps I seem to create. I am trying desperately to resist purchasing additional scrap bins but I swear those little bits of fabric multiply like bunny rabbits every time I step out of the room!