Sunday, February 26, 2023

Nuggets--A Study In Floating Triangles

Waste triangles
Our Thread Tales book club read the book, "Where the Forest Meets the Stars" by Glendy Vanderah. I started reading the book at the end of August. After reading the first chapter of the book, I had an idea. After I finished the book, I was inspired enough to draw a pencil sketch of the translation of the words. Then I was rear ended in a car accident. To take that idea to a finished project would take more body ability than I had. 

For a few months, I didn't know if I would be able to make any project. I didn't sew for more than three months because sewing caused me too much shoulder, head, neck and back pain. Currently, on some days, I have less pain than other days. I'm thankful for those days. I posted here about my recovery progress. 

Triangle blocks
I have had success at machine piecing. I decided I would try to piece a project. The "what" was the issue. Last month, I joined the Portland Modern Quilt Guild. I also belong to a small group whose focus is modern. I have tons---well, not really TONS; but, I do have a lot---of scraps.

Finished top -- profile orientation
Could I make a project with scraps? What would it be? My eye drifted to the book cover and I thought Stars could be my inspiration. I perused Pinterest for ideas about stars. . .in a way that would translate to modern. I happened on Amy's Night Sky tutorial. I liked it. I have a lot of waste triangles, many are from my friend, Martha

Finished top -- landscape orientation
I laid out about 20 yellow triangles on my ironing surface. As I viewed the triangles, there wasn't enough of a value change so I added a variety of purple triangles. I liked the design much better with the color variety. In the book, purple is a favorite color of a couple of characters. Martha loved purple.

I had a half yard of a print on a black background. I decided that I would pair that background with a half yard of solid black fabric that I had on hand. I would see how many blocks I could create with those fabrics.

Although I could have stitched several more blocks, I didn't have enough fabric remaining to stitch another row of blocks. In the end, I stitched 30 blocks into a 20 inch by 28 inch top. It was a fun process. I played about four hours. I didn't plan the location of the background. 

I liked the orientation of the piece until I tried to use a piece of fabric from my stash for the backing. The fabric was a half yard of a bird print that I bought because I liked the print. 

Quilting pattern on the bird print backing  
Birds were part of the story line in the book. The print would be better featured if I turned the project a quarter turn. In the end, I liked the landscape orientation better! I did piece my back because I didn't have enough fabric for the length. I layered and pin basted the back, the 80/20 batting and the top.

Using black 50 weight Aurifil thread and my walking foot, I quilted straight lines one quarter inch apart. I did not quilt over the triangles so there was a lot of stopping and starting. I spent about 12 hours quilting this piece. 

Quilting was hard on my body. I will try to adjust the height of my chair to see if I have less neck and back pain. I took a break after every 30 to 45 minutes. I had considered matchstick quilting; but, quilting lines one eight inch apart which would likely take me a bunch more hours didn't sound like the best plan.

From my "precuts" which are scraps that I've cut into specific strip and square widths, I pulled a couple strips. I paired these with the remainder of the strips that I didn't use in the piecing process. I faced the quilt and hand stitched the facing to the back of the quilt. 

Label
I added the sleeve and the label. I do note a materials cost and a time estimate in making the project. If I were to have gone to a shop to purchase the supplies, I would have spent about $40. For this project, my actual out of pocket expense was zero dollars because I had all the supplies on hand. I started noting the supplying time information after I had a couple quilts appraised.  

Finished front
My first finish of the year was complete! I used about two yards of fabric in this project which brings the total yards of fabric used from stash to negative four and a quarter yards. After a few more small finishes, I'll be back to reducing my stash instead of adding to it!!

I exceeded goal number eight on my February list. I had only planned to work on this project; but, I finished it instead! This is a big win for me!!!

I named the project "Nuggets" because small clues were released throughout the story of how a barefoot little girl named Ursa from a land far far away arrived at the outdoor cooking fire of a bird researcher. Looking at the finished piece, reminded me of a photo a national news program flashed on the screen of a star constellation. The photo showed different colors of star light in the sky.

Because I've used scraps, I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. Cynthia always inspires me with the quilts and projects she makes from scraps. Sundays, I enjoy her link up to see what other great projects people are creating. Please pour yourself a cuppa and head on over for lots of scrap inspiration!  


6 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really liked that book, but I LOVE your night sky quilt! That is a neat technique, which I might have to try. Thanks for the link to look it up! Glad you're figuring out what will for you so that you can sew and quilt!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great color choices Terry. The purple was a brilliant addition. Thanks for sharing with oh Scrap!

liz said...

I like the floating triangles, it's always fun seeing what you're doing.
Thank you for sharing

liz said...

I like the floating triangles,enjoy seeing what you're working on.
Thank you for sharing.

Rebecca Grace said...

Your Nuggets quilt is fabulous, Terry -- yes, it is similar to the one I just quilted for Jane, but the effect is completely different with the dark background and the smaller triangle scraps. It does remind me of a starry night sky! I am so glad to see you are quilting again.

Bonnie said...

Wonderful quilt. And wowzer on the time you spent on the quilting …but oh the final project is so worth it. It’s good you’ve been able to get back to piecing and quilting. Hopefully you can continue as you want not as your body allows you to. Take care.