Wednesday, June 29, 2022

The Personal Librarian--Post 3

Piece after stitching all the facial details

In my second post about this project, I wrote that I wasn't happy with how puffy the face was after I had added all of the details. (If you want to read the first post, click the link.) 

I only brought the black Aurifil thread with me for this project. I really needed some neutral thread. I've walked through many parts of Central London. I've seen several tailor shops and dry cleaning shops. I've not seen a fabric store although my on line search showed me some that were a 40 minute bus ride from where I was staying. 

Face after adding a few quilted lines
What to do? I decided to ask my daughter's friend, Fritha, if she had any neutral thread I could have. She brought me a bag of "embroidery silks." There was a little bit of white sewing thread on a spool. She said that she didn't sew and that she hadn't done any cross stitch since before the pandemic. She said she would be happy if I used a bunch of the thread.

Label
I used a couple strands of Fritha's embroidery floss to solve the issue of the puffy face. I added a little definition to the eye area. In the book, the author reveals the character being close to tears that she would be discovered. If discovered, she would lose everything. I added some straight lines to represent the internal tears she allowed herself. I added some lines around the mouth to
represent the times she refrained from making a comment for fear of standing out rather than blending in.

Back
The quilting lines helped disperse the puffiness that was in the face. I pulled the backing to the front to finish the edge. I used tiny stitches to stitch the binding in place. I had envisioned adding some black embroidery stitches to edge; but decided I would leave the area plain so that the emphasis remained on the face and the facial features. I liked how life like her eyes are. I also liked the open space between the background text and the edge finish. The overall design reminds me of a page in a magazine or a book.

I did try to block the piece a bit with steam from my daughter's iron. My daughter said this was the second time an iron had been used in her flat and the first experience for this iron. She said she ironed some napkins for a Thanksgiving dinner that she hosted pre-pandemic. I didn't have a measuring tape nor an ironing board. I used a folded towel to press the project. I used a piece of computer paper to give me a rough estimate of square.

Front
For the sleeve, I used a piece of the leftover fabric from the project. I hand stitched the seam and hand stitched the hem at each end. I attached the label with my usual hand stitching. I mulled over what to call this project. I had a suggestion from my Mavens group. Unfortunately, I wrote the title in a book that I didn't bring with me. One of Nicole's friends, Victoria, who saw the piece used the term "Held" to describe what she saw in the figure's face. I decided that would be a great title for this project.

I learned that it is possible to create a project without a sewing machine and a few materials as long as there is a little help from friends. Thanks Fritha and Victoria, I could not have finished without you!

This was my one monthly goal for June. I'm linking to Patty at Elm Street Quilts. Please click on the link and see all the other great projects this month. Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal - June Finish Link-up


2 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Excellent solution, adding more stitching but in a neutral thread! I love how that gives the face even more character and expressiveness.

Nicole Knott said...

Nice to see this from start to finish in London. Amazing to be done with very little thread options and all by hand with many Ada interruptions. :)