Sunday, June 5, 2022

Labels--A 2022 Saturday Workshop

Early style of quilt label
Sandie provided information on the importance of adding a label to your quilt. She commented that your name and the date was enough information for a simple label. She said later it could be helpful to determine when you finished a project. 

I made my early labels using the embroidery fonts available on my 1630 Bernina. The information I included was the quilt name, the date it was made, and where I lived. Interestingly, I've lived in the same house for the last 32 years; but, my physical address has changed a few times!

Example of a label for a gifted quilt
I don't remember when I started hand writing my labels; but I do remember why. It took me some time to create the label for my machine to stitch. Now, I have embroidery software and it would be a simpler and quicker process to make and embroidered label. 

The bigger reason I hand wrote my labels was that I wanted to leave a bit of me behind. I write my labels in a calligraphy style which doesn't resemble my actual handwriting. Still, it is my handwriting and so I continue to write my labels. As I've "matured" my handwriting has changed a bit.  

Sandie said if a quilt was given as a gift, it was nice to record that information. Over the years, I've written labels for gifted

Second example of a label for a gifted quilt

quilts. Often, there were many hands creating the quilt.

Sometimes, I used more graphics than other times to decorate the label. Sometimes, I used a piece of the block or fabrics used in the tops to create the label. Sometimes, I've used a leftover block or I've used an orphan block for the label.

Sometimes, I use a printed label. Of the printed labels in my stash, I purchased a grouping of two different prints. The remaining labels in my stash came from the guild free table or were gifted to me by friends. I enjoy finding a label that coordinates with front of the quilt.

Block elements used in the label
Sometimes I add a border and sometimes I don't. Most of the time, I use a micro pigma pen to ink the label information. Pigma pens come in a variety of colors. I heat set the ink when I have finished. Over time and washings, the ink fades. I do hope the recipients of my quilts will use the quilts so much that they are in tatters and having a label won't matter!

Leftover block label example
Information on my label has increased over the years. While I still may write a simple label, more likely the label contains: why I made it, the batting type, the types of thread used, the pattern reference, the estimated hours it took me to make it, the cost of the materials and the size. The date is still there; but, I write it in a different format. 

Years later, someone would ask me what batting I used or the kind of thread. I'd be filling out an entry form and I'd need to know the size or the pattern reference. I had a couple quilts appraised. I had to estimate the time I spent making the project and the cost of the materials. 

Years ago, I attended a lecture at my guild and the speaker talked about different ways of dating quilts. Sometimes, she only put the year. She shared that some quilters used their machine's embroidery font to embroider the specific information they wanted on the binding. I've often considered doing this; but, haven't!

She shared that some quilters numbered their projects. She said that if quilts were part of an exhibit and people read the labels, they might think that the quilter hadn't completed any recent work. The "code" was a way for the quilter to document the age of the quilt without it being obvious to the viewer.

Printed label example
I thought that was a good plan. Over the years, I've tweaked my system a bit. If you were to read #620224 on a label, that doesn't mean it is the 600,000 quilt that I've made! It  would mean that I finished the quilt in June 2022 and it was my fourth finish that year.

Making the label is enjoyable. I've used scraps to make them. So I'm linking to Cynthia and Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework. (Each Sunday, I look forward to reading what other people are making with their scraps when I view the link!)

Second example of a printed label
I enjoyed the class. I appreciated Sandie's perspective on labels. I was surprised that so many people in the class didn't label their quilts. All along, I've labeled my projects. Quilts that I've given to charity organizations, I stitched a guild label. 

It is important to place a label on a quilt. There are so many quilts in the "wild" created by an unknown maker. We enjoy looking at them; but, wonder what their stories are. 

Example of leftovers used in label
A good method to view more example of labels I've used is to click on the pages at the top of this blog. "Tips/Techniques/Tutorials" and the "Books" pages don't contain links to finished projects; but the other pages do. The link associated with each finish will take you to the post about that project. I photograph the label for each quilt and have included the label in each finish. 

I'd appreciate hearing how you document/label your projects. Please leave me a comment to let me know your methods or methods! Thanks! 

This was goal number four on my June list.





4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I can see how labeling our quilts is very important, and I admit to being very hit or miss about it. It's so interesting to see your labels and what you include, Terry. Sounds like a good class, too!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What an interesting post! I've never given much thought to the labels as such. I usually embroider my name and date somewhere on the back. But these are such varied and interesting options. Thanks for sharing.

Janice Smith said...

I used to use the lettering feature on my Janome, but that took too long. Now I, too, use the Micron Pens. I just put the name of the quilt, my name, my city and state and the year. If it is a gift, I write a message :-) Made with love for . . . “ instead of writing “love,” I replace it with a heart button. In fact, I usually add a button or two to each label.

JustGail said...

The QOV group takes care of labeling the tops I piece for them.
For my own quilts, I embroider my name & year completed on the back. For the quilt I made using butterfly blocks made by Mom back in the 60s(?) I wrote in Pigma pen she made the blocks, and my name & date finished and appliquéd it to the back.

Documenting is photos on my blog. I really need to go back and do a better job of adding useful labels though - "quilt" or "QOV" just doesn't cut it. Or maybe add a page just for quilt photos?

At first I thought including the batting used might be over doing it. Then I wonder how many quilts using polyester batting have been damaged by using a too-hot iron, maybe from using iron-on tape or patches to mend it? Or maybe a wool batting quilt might need different storage handling to avoid moth damage.