Sunday, April 18, 2021

Good Bye Feedburner and Two "Manly" Blocks

As you may already know, Feedburner will stop their e-mail notification service in July. This morning, I was successful adding the widget for e-mail followers to change to bloglovin. I hope that those of you who used Feedburner, will now switch to bloglovin. I have found it simple to subscribe on a couple people's blog that I read and I am so not technical!!!!!  I'm also posting that I'm claiming this blog on bloglovin.  
Two "manly" blocks completed

In my small group that meets the last Monday of the month, one of the members challenged us to make "manly" blocks to make a man's quilt as the charity group is too short on the number of quilts for men. One member pulled a fabric for the back to donate and also said that she would quilt the finished top. The backing fabric had browns and greens in it and that was how we determined the color palette.

Each member was asked to make two blocks that finished at ten inches. Another member offered to stitch the blocks into a top while another member offered to bind the quilt. I pulled my brown scraps and my Around the Block with Judy Hopkins book. This is a good resource for a making blocks because not only are there a variety of blocks but there is a chart to make six sizes of each block in the book.

In Martha's scraps, there was a chunk of dragonfly fabric that I chose as my inspiration fabric. In a couple hours, I had determined the blocks, picked coordinating fabric scraps from my stash and stitched the blocks. As we have finished our blocks, we have e-mailed  a photo to group members. Every block is terrific! It is going to be a great quilt.

My two blocks are in the hands of the member who is piecing the blocks together. It always feels good to participate in a community quilt project. This was goal number seven in my April goal post. It was goal number seven in my 2nd Quarter goal post.

I'm linking to Oh Scrap/Quilting is more fun than Housework.

Regarding Covid:

Worldwide: 140M cases; 3.01M deaths

United States: 31.6M cases; 566K deaths

Oregon: 174K cases; 2,471 deaths

In spite of the fact that cases everywhere continue to rise, restrictions are relaxing in some areas. More people are becoming vaccinated in spite of the fact that less doses are available. Sadly, I was notified yesterday that an acquaintance in France, has contracted the British variant of the COVID virus. I hope she is able to heal quickly.

My husband has an appointment next week to receive his second dose of the Phizer vaccine. My friend who has no computer or cell phone received an appointment for her first dose through her naturopath. She received her first dose yesterday. I'm glad she was able to get an appointment.


12 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Manly blocks can be challenging to decide on, but I think yours are spot on! It is really fun to participate in a project like that!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Diann, I think making "manly" quilts is a challenge from my scraps because the print or the color is wrong. I'm glad you think these blocks are spot on!

Luann Fischer said...

I am always surprised at what I will find in my stash that works into a 'manly' quilt. For the Royal Family Kids Camp quilts we’ve needed to ask for 'gender neutral' because we have no idea of how many boys or girls will be involved each year. Your blocks will work out well in the quilt.

Darlene S said...

I also follow you via My Creative Blog List http://mycreativebloglist.blogspot.com/

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, gender neutral would be even more of a challenge! I'm glad these blocks are finished and in the hands of the person stitching the blocks into a top! Thanks for stopping by!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Darlene, Thank you for following me through your blog. I'd better get my e-mail list updated on this blog! Thanks for sharing that information! (I've followed you for many years myself!)

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Thank you for sharing about Feedburner. I saw the notice this weekend and wondered what to switch too. Your "manly" blocks look awesome; what a fun challenge. Happy quilting and have a great week.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Melisa, Change is inevitable. I have appreciated Feedburner. I hope whatever it is that we end up having is even better!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your blocks are beautiful, but the whole "we need more masculine quilts" thing -- that I hear from so many charity quilting groups that I belong to, not just yours -- is so frustrating to me. Who came up with the idea that women and girls get to enjoy and appreciate all of the beautiful colors of the world, but men and boys -- REAL men and boys -- can/should only enjoy a drastically limited palette of brown, gray, dark blues and maybe greens (only if they are appropriately masculine camo/khaki greens that suggest hunting or war)? What are we so afraid of happening, if we gave a red quilt or a purple quilt, or a vibrantly scrappy rainbow quilt to a man? One of my sons used to love raspberry flavored JELLO in his lunch box, until one day he came home from elementary school and told me he never wanted "pink JELLO" in his lunch box again because kids started teasing him about it. So when this topic comes up of "oh, great job on the donation quilts everyone, but we need more in "boy colors," I remember the day that toxic masculinity culture ganged up on my son at the lunch table and made him ashamed of his dessert.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Rebecca, while I agree with you about the masculine colors. . .some guys do like purple and some guys do like flowers. We chose our palette based on the donated backing fabric. If there had been red or purple in that fabric, I'm sure our palette would have been different. In the area where I live, there is a higher number guys in need of a quilt than gals. The guys are from the era of all those colors you listed. They pick their quilt and quilt with those colors are the ones that are most popular. I'm not ashamed of making brown and green blocks. Where I live, the recipients of these donated quilts are guys who are veterans and their hobbies were hunting and fishing. To them "camo" IS the in color. Recently, I saw a photo of a quilt recipient proudly wrapped in his quilt choice. That quilt was on him, around him and near him until he died. Now, the family has that quilt. They tell stories about their dad and how this silly blanket brought joy and comfort to their dad after he had received the diagnosis that he had a terminal illness. Perhaps, when your sons are in their 70's the masculine colors of the day will be entirely different. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Ivani said...

You made beautiful manly blocks, and for a great cause.
Well done Terry!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Ivani, thank you. They are for a great cause!