Sunday, May 19, 2019

Exercise in Artistry--post 5 of 5

Random word drawings and a collage story
Day 11 with Sketchbook Revival had us working with words and stories. In the first session, Rich Armstrong shared his lecture, "Start with Random Words." He developed an app, The Random Word which provides one with random words and a timer. You choose one of the words and doodle what comes to mind. He suggested using the back of a business card of a post it note to ensure keeping the drawing small. He also suggested drawing in ink and to work in any flaws. I completed eight mini drawings in about 20 minutes. It was a fun exercise. Doing it reminded me of my college days when I completed thumbnail sketches for page layouts. (I'm from the era that electric typewriters were the newer technology!)

During the second session, Laly Mille led us through "Serendipity Stories." This was a collage exercise. I happened to have a flyer from a department store on the counter that was made of yardstick and that had an Easter theme. When I was kid, I would get a new dress, shoes, hat and even gloves to wear to church on Easter Sunday. After church, we would have an egg hunt.
Cosmic smashing example

Dinner with my cousins and grandparents
followed the end of the egg hunt. I loved decorating eggs and later I loved hiding the eggs for my younger brothers. I decided to cut the flyer into some interesting shapes and glue the pieces into my sketchbook. I used color pencils to write a few words and to "tell" a bit more of the story. It also was a fun exercise!

Day 12 was all about intuition and healing. Catt Cellar shared "Cosmic Smashing: Power Triggers=Super Power" I've been stalled with organizing my studio so I chose my cluttered space as my trigger and determined that my super power is baggage mover. . .which goes much deeper than I'm willing to share here!
Drawing intuitively

We started writing on the page about the trigger..then we colored over the words paying attention to the colors we picked. Next we scribbled over the page followed by writing a healing prayer, "Heal me, tell me, inform me, instruct me. . . ." Finally, we collaged elements on the page. I thought it was interesting that the flyer I had picked up had the
handbags on it as well as some words like savings, book, best appeared. I loved Catt's tip: "Make friends with the perfectionist/critic. Let her talk; but, don't let her make decisions!

Montine Blank shared "Intuition Painting: Learn How to Let Go and Let it Flow." She took us through the process of painting with your intuition. She gave us 45 seconds to draw something we were familiar with. I drew a house and practiced some tips that I had picked up from other presenter's sessions. We took three cleansing breaths and she gave us another 45 seconds to draw whatever happened. I put my pencil on the paper and started moving my arm. I didn't make a connection until I wrote this description. I've wanted to quilt loops in a border; but, haven't been able to create the effect that I wanted. The lines on the bottom right are more like where I want to go. Now, I know what they feel like so perhaps, when the opportunity presents itself, I'll accomplish them! I appreciated her tip of honoring time for the muse.
My results from the last day of the workshop

Day 13. . .the final day of the workshop sessions. . .it was another great two sessions! Leonie Norton led us through "Travel Sketching in Pen and Watercolor Wash." If you would have asked me before this session to sketch a scene from where I had been. . .I would have declined. After the session, I have the confidence to give it a go!

Leonie gave tips with ink scribbles, color mixing and brush strokes that were terrific. Her cloud technique produces great results and is simple!! I didn't know about the watercolor pen to use for travel. I may need to invest in one or two as they looked easy to use. Leonie's tips about simplifying the scene as well as taking artistic license were invaluable.

Then Karen Abend took us through "Stay Inspired With A Sketchbook Adventure." She encouraged us to be inspired with where we live. I drew the pots on the patio that I'm waiting for the flowers to bloom and the seeds to grow. As I was drawing, I thought how serendipitous it was because I am growing into an artist!

Although I was sad that it was the last day, I learned that I:
--like drawing with pencils
--like coloring with color pencils
--enjoy painting with watercolors and want to play more with that medium
--can be mindful and intuitive when creating
--can draw a dog and doodle on demand
--can draw a face

I had FUN in each of the sessions. I learned tips and techniques in each session. I had success in each session!!! I plan to continue my sketchbook practice over the next year. I know fun explorations are ahead of me!!!!


No comments: