Wednesday, May 1, 2019

April Embroidery Lesson

Pin tuck heart
The software embroidery lesson for April was heirloom embroidery techniques. Years ago, I did a little heirloom sewing and so I was excited about working through this lesson. The first part of the lesson was to create a heart with pin tucks. I used a double needle with my embroidery unit. I wouldn't have thought that was possible!

I stitched the heart on a piece of pink cotton that looks like taffeta. I used a light interfacing under the pin tucks and then inserted a tear away stabilizer when I was ready to stitch the decorative edge. This heart would be a cute embellishment on a pocket.

I may have had less fullness at the top of the heart had I used a 5.5mm stitch plate. I don't have one and decided that I wouldn't use one enough to warrant purchasing one. The directions also stated to use a number nine darning foot or the number 15 embroidery foot. Usually, I use the number 26 embroidery foot; however its opening is too small for the double needle.

Circular design made with a wing needle

Part two of the lesson was to create a piece of embroidery on linen using a wing needle.  I don't have linen fabric in my stash; but, someone left a strip of toweling like fabric on the free table so I picked it up for this project!

I used a wing needle to create the design. I didn't do all that well getting the design centered; but, in my defense, the toweling isn't square. For the sample on the left, I used the wing needle to create the outer edge treatment. For the sample on the right, I used a regular size 90 top stitch needle. I used a water soluble stabilizer and perhaps, I should have also used a tear away stabilizer.

It was fun watching the design stitch; but, I don't know how I would use this technique in my stitching projects.

Part three of the lesson was to create a piece of shadow embroidery. I was supposed to use cream batiste for the bottom layer. I didn't have a cream batiste so I used a light weight muslin fabric. I used a water soluble stabilizer as well as a piece of tear away.
Shadow trapunto

The first time I stitched it, the red flowers weren't round and so the candlewick stitches stitched at the end of the process didn't match the design. I tried different fabrics; I tried different stabilizers. After three hours, I stopped trying to make the red flowers round.

The leaves didn't distort. Perhaps, I should have tried a different underlay pattern for the red flowers. Perhaps, I should have stitched the circles after the leaves. I decided to save that learning for another day.

Entredeux example
After stitching the flowers, I overlaid a piece of organza on the top. For the piece on the right, I free motioned stitched in cream silk thread a line around each of the leaves and flowers.

I can see these made up a sachets. I might try it again if I could have better results stitching the flowers. I did find switching back to the single hole stitch plate gave me better results.

Part four of the lesson was to create a piece of Entredeux. I had planned to use a 60 weight cotton thread on a light weight cotton fabric; but, then decided to stitch it on a piece of organza using a 40 weight polyester thread. Again, I got to use the wing needle and water soluble stabilizer.

I had some puckering as I created the design and possibly a lighter thread would have helped. Perhaps, I should have used an extra layer of stabilizer.  I took the photo before I rinsed away the stabilizer. This technique would make a great cuff embellishment.

Part five of the lessons was to join two pieces of linen together using faggoting as the method. I should have let my feather stitch overlap a bit more of the fabric so I would have had a wider space; but, it wasn't hard to create this little sample.
Faggoting example

This might make a fun way to join quilt sections together. . .at least it is a technique to consider! While my samples aren't terrific, I created and stitched them. I'm doing better than I ever have as I have completed all four of the lessons! I'm patting myself on the back!!

Last month, I trained nine lifeguard instructors in a review session. I enjoy these trainings because I get to work with a dear friend. We can finish one another's sentences!!! I trained 19 in Basic Life Support CPR. I trained 18 in lay rescuer CPR and I trained 10 babysitters.

I also went to a service award banquet and was awarded a 25 year of service plaque. Gosh, it is hard to believe that I will have my 26th anniversary of employment at the hospital in May. The time has flown!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those samples are wonderful! I'm really impressed with the work you are doing to improve your machine embroidery skills! It makes me think about getting the embroidery module for my machine because it looks like such fun!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy! Using the embroidery module is beginning to be less intimidating and playtime must be around the corner!!