|Quilted design in purple squares|
Quilting is a journey and it is okay that I didn't finish at the end of December. My plan now is to finish it by the end of January. (My fingers are crossed!!!)
I had to decide how to quilt the pinkish star points. I decided that I would use the design on the right side of the star points.
These were quilting okay. Again, I tried to use the ruler; but, I found that from a sitting position, I could only use it on one side as I was unable to hold the ruler in position when it was behind the machine. Also, I find the foot "heavy" in that some points are bulky and as I approach those areas, the foot acts as if it has run into a concrete wall!
Also, as I began and ended each stitching line, it was harder and harder to get the balance wheel to turn to bring the threads to the top of the quilt. Then. . .I heard a rattle as I stitched and when I tried to move the balance wheel, the wheel turned; but, the needle didn't move. I packed the machine to take in for a check. The part is on order and my fingers are crossed the part arrives early next week! The repair man said he hasn't seen this issue with this model of machine. I sure hope this doesn't happen again as I have to be able to pull my threads to the top of the quilt!!!!
|Bernie at work!|
Right away, I missed the light, the extra harp space and the speed of stitching that Joie, my newer Bernina exhibits. Still, I was thankful that I didn't have to put this project away while I wait for my other machine to be repaired!
|Three of four legs of the star quilted|
Although I also almost had to get out the manual to wind the bobbin. I guess, I bonded more with Joie than I had realized! In the end, I remembered. It took me about ten hours to quilt these lines!
I sure wish I could have used a ruler, but with this small harp, there isn't room! Also, I doubt that the ruler foot will fit this older machine. I'm hoping that the bobbles don't show up all that much. After all, there are going to be a lot more quilting lines in this piece!
|The block thus far!|
I like how flat the block is laying. I like the quilting. . .I'm still thinking about those background squares and yet, no idea of a keeper design has entered my head! This quilting took me about 12 hours. Pushing and pulling the fabric through Bernie's smaller harp is a workout! I find I must take more breaks.
Next part to quilt are the nine patch blocks that are in the alternate blocks. I'm planning to use a larger size of the Ultimate stencil.
No ideas have lit on those background squares. . .hmmmmmm