Sunday, November 19, 2017

Scrappy Placemat Post 2 of 2--8th Finish for the 4th Quarter Finish-A-Long (FAL)2017

Miss K's finished placemat
Goal number 10 on my 4th Quarter Finish-A-Long 2017 (FAL) was to stitch leftover scraps from a Christmas stocking project.

I posted here about the design and piecing process. With the quilting process, I wanted to use gold thread as well as use a similar quilting pattern to unify the placemats as a set. I finished Miss K's placemat. I did quilt pebbles around her name. She will like the design in the center of her placemat.

Miss J's finished placemat




Miss J is a whirlwind of activity so the swirl design in the center of her placemat is an accurate replica of how busy J is when she is visiting us!





The grands think their daddy is the best daddy ever. I used a beefier font for his lettering and I used a bubble design to signify his importance to them.
Daddy's finished placemat

I outlined "Daddy" with the gold thread and used the gold thread to stitch the bubble design. I quilted the pieced strips with straight lines using the same spacing that I did on the girls' placemats.







Momma's finished placemat

Momma is the heart of the family so I used red thread to stitch her name. I used the six inch arc and clamshell templates to quilt much of the space with curves so that the quilting related to the circles I quilted on Daddy's placemat. I also quilted the pieced strips with straight lines.

I considered stitching the binding totally by machine; but, then decided that I wanted a skinny binding on the placemats. I hand stitched the binding. I liked how all the corners turned out. I usually have one corner that doesn't miter well; but, not this time!

These are the finished placemats. I used about a yard and half in addition to the scraps in this project. This brings my total of fabrics used from my stash to 41 1/2 yards of the 50 yards that was my annual goal last January. This is my eighth finish for the quarter!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

They turned out really wonderful! I'm sure they'll all love all of the thought that went into each one!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Nancy! I'm pleased with how the scraps are now placemats!

Monica said...

That's a really pretty font you used, Terry. And I love the loopy quilting on Daddy's placemat! You're doing a great job with the finishes!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Finding the fonts was fun, Monica. I plan to use that looping quilting in another project. . .soon! Thanks!

Cut&Alter said...

These are lovely placemats - well done on the mitres!! Thanks for taking part in the FAL - from the FAL hosts!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for being part of this opportunity to finish projects and share them! Thank you too for the kind comment about my finish.

Karin said...

Lovely work. Funny, I have just been thinking about placemats...the ones we use are in desperate need of replacement and they are a good way to practice a design. Thanks for linking up.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Karin! I should make more placemats. . .small is a good way to play!