Sunday, September 6, 2026

Lala's Irish Chain Sew Along With Melva--post 2

Week 5 sewing patchwork pairs using the background
Goal number eight on my September list was to make progress on Lala's Irish Chain Sew Along with Melva. About three weeks after Melva released the clue, I did sew the clue for week five which was to sew patchwork squares using the background as one square of the squares.

Midway through week six clue
Week six clue was to make more patchwork squares. I was glad that I was behind because it gave me a chance to see how the constant fabric was used in the design. I chose to randomly put nine units into a group. 

Week six clue finished
The piles were colorful when I had finished! Week seven clue was putting the clues from week five and six together into the chain blocks. I followed Melva's previous pressing directions. The seams nested together so stitching the blocks together went without a lot of angst as long as Gertie, my inner squirrel didn't distract me! 

Five patch block
While I did try to distribute the patchwork colors throughout the blocks, it didn't always work. I also tried to not have the same fabric next to each other. I also tried to go for a random placement. These plans didn't always work. I knew the teal and the green were close in value so those blocks sometimes get lost. Some of my lime greens were also too close in value to my colorful squares to create a crisp chain.

Adding the five patch blocks to the nine patch blocks
In the end, the colors are bright and happy. I'm reminded of jelly beans when I look at the colorful squares. The background fabric is fun. I do like the ideas I tried. I am happy to have used scraps.The five patch blocks have the look of being out of focus which is unique and might work in the end. For sure, it will be a quilt that will warm someone!

In progress photo
I continued piecing blocks. The more I pieced, the more defined the design became. Still not "crisp" but, fun all the same. Once I had all the blocks pieced, I looked through my stash for a border fabric. I came across a fabric that would be a great main fabric so I may try this pattern again! I auditioned a few fabrics and in the end, I decided I wouldn't add the border.

Completed blocks ready to be sewn into rows
Friday, I managed to stitch the rows together. Because I mostly paid attention to Melva's pressing instructions, my seams nested nicely. It currently measurers about 70 by 80.

Finished top
I plan to find a backing from my stash. . .I have a stripe in mind to be supplemented with leftovers from the front. I auditioned a green fabric from my stash that will be the binding.

Green binding
Piecing the back is a project for another day! It would be great if I could get the back pieced and the project to the longarmer before my knee surgery next week. Linking to: Oh Scrap and Sew & Tell.

4 comments:

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

Wow Terry, you've made excellent progress! I love the scrappy greens and how they so prettily make a pattern throughout, and that background fabric is adorable! It made a really nice sized quilt too. Great job!

Vicki in MN said...

You sure moved this quilt forward, the more added the chain blocks it became more showy, I like it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That came together beautifully, Terry. That green for the binding looks like it will work well. Happy finishing!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that Terry! I don't think the crisp look of the chain design matters as much as making sure you can see the chain when looking at the quilt top as a whole. And it's definitely there in yours. Pretty bright colors make this a happy quilt, too!