Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Garden Flowers Is A Flimsy--post two

Progress mid July
Warning: this is one long post with many photos! Grab a cuppa! 
Goal number five on my September list was to share my progress on the Garden Flowers project. The last time that I posted about this project was July 22. I had moved from the plan of orienting the flower blocks like photos on a wall to arranging them around a center medallion.

Adding the sawtooth border and beginning to fill in the background 
I had raided the parts department for the leftovers that became the center star, points in the outer string border, half square triangles that I had incorrectly cut for the last Bonnie Hunter Mystery and an arm/hand I had made for a previous book club project.

Changing the position of the hand/arm
I had about a yard of yellow fabric to use for the background. This was a scrap from a previous project. I knew I couldn't make cutting errors because of the limited quantity! When I was creating the center medallion, I planned ahead so that the sides measure a full finished inch so that I could piece the sawtooth border. 

Adding a tiny spacer
When it came to inserting the flower blocks into the sawtooth border, I decided that I didn't want to cut into a HST to piece in the flower blocks. There would be too many seams and the design would get lost. I pieced a larger white triangle in this area. My goal was to piece as few Y seams as possible. Sometimes I had to add a spacer to make the pieces fit. it was like working on a jigsaw puzzle! If my flower blocks had finished to six inches, I would have caused myself less figuring!

Adding more background
For the most part, once a piece was in place, I left it and worked to piece one section at a time. I did consider eliminating the top flower; but, decided that it added to the overall design.

More background in place
It was scary to watch the remaining background fabric diminish. It was exciting to see the piece take shape with every addition so I was encouraged to keep going.

Flowers in place, hand/arm in place
While I would have liked to have had the top flower closer to the group, I was over Y seams! I pinned the hand/arm in place and began constructing the borders.

Beginning to add the background borders
Truly, the background chunk was down to a few pieces. I decided that I should take another look at perhaps adding a different shade of yellow as the borders because I didn't think I had enough.

Auditioning alternate background border fabrics
One look at the existing yellows with this project and I knew the current background was the only option. I did more math and measured the existing scrap. It was possible that I had enough if I didn't have math errors!

Determining the best use of the remaining background fabric
The reality is I have math errors. I measured twice. I measured twice again and cut once. With each slice of the background fabric, I said a silent prayer that I my math was correct!

Background borders added
In the end, there was enough background fabric. I breathed a sigh of relief! 

Leftover background
There had been enough background fabric after all. Although, the scraps remaining were little!

Auditioning more sawtooth HSTs
I liked what I had created! I began auditioning the string borders. I allowed my brain to think about quilting motifs in the open background spaces. It was then that I felt the design was lacking some spark. It was too plain.

Cutting more HSTs
There were a few remaining HSTs so I placed them around the flower blocks. I considered stopping with adding a few here and there; but, the center didn't feel finished. I made more HSTs. I auditioned them  almost encircling the center.

Piecing HSTs strips into the background
I liked the effect as it felt more finished. Then, I had to psych myself up to piece those HSTs into the top. I had sweaty palms and heart palpitations removing the borders and cutting into the finished top!

Half of the HSTs added
Because of how the flower blocks are inserted into the center medallion, there is no way that the HST strips would line up. I decided I was okay with a little jog!

An HST border added
Inserting the second half of the HSTs was challenging. I spent about two days adding this border. I did use a few of the remaining background scraps to fill the spaces. The repetition of the HST border was a good addition. Now the center felt finished! 

Adding the upper string border
I added the upper string border and smiled! 

Finished flimsy
I added the lower string border and smiled some more! I'm glad I challenged myself to add those HSTs! I did find a pink print for the backing and have layered and glue basted it. It is ready for quilting which will happen after I recover from my knee surgery.

Linking to: Finished or Not Friday and Patchwork and Quilts.






4 comments:

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

Oh those HSTs just make it perfect! You did great getting every bit of background from the yellow, it's beautiful. Love the placement of the flowers and the hand. It's a masterpiece. I look forward to seeing your finish!
What day is your knee surgery? I'll go ahead and start praying for your quick recovery!

Vicki in MN said...

That indeed was like doing a puzzle, it's how I feel when doing the panel wall hangings. I absolutely love the addition of the HSTs border, it really sets the whole thing off!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is such a neat design, Terry! I love the greens, pinks, and yellows together. I have been there, too - eking out the last bit of something for a background or border. You made it!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I know I have told you this before, Terry, but I love seeing the process that you go through in the making of your quilts. It is watching an artist at work! Garden Flowers is magnificent!