Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Two Swimsuits

Cutting out the suits
I've been sewing my own swim wear since I married. Before that, my mom sewed my suits. She started sewing suits after I wore the butt out of the suit she bought me at the beginning of summer. I only had worn it a few times to play in the irrigation ditch. The neighbors and I used the concrete "fall" as a slide. The fall was used to move the water to a lower elevation. 

Once I bought a suit because it was five dollars; but, otherwise, I've sewn them. I've made suits for my kids and my grandkids. I think they last about as long as purchased suits last. Plus, my friend, Marla, gifted me swimwear fabric that came from her sister. The amount she gifted me is enough to last me through the remainder of my lifetime!

Miss J, our nine year old granddaughter, picked out a fish print fabric for me to make my suits. I was able to cut out two complete suits. When I write complete suits, I mean that I also cut out the linings. 

Finished suits
I haven't worn a suit with self lining; but, thought why not? I have lots of fabric and not having to purchase lining fabric would be great. Although, I do have a lot of black lining fabric on hand.

When my children would preschoolers, I'd cut out and make at least two suits for each person at a time. Many times, I'd make six suits at a time for myself. I was a swim instructor so the pool chemicals, like chlorine, ate through the fabric quickly. In case I went somewhere, I always had a "Sunday" suit waiting in the wings for those occasions!

I haven't made suits since the pandemic which is probably the longest time between suit making in my life! Because I fully line my suits--that information isn't in the directions--I couldn't remember how I handled the back neck strap. Next time, I will try attaching the lining another way. 

I also couldn't remember the seam allowance I used to baste the armhole and leg openings. Three eights of an inch is the measurement. One afternoon, I cut out the suits. The next afternoon, I sewed the pieces together. I inserted the linings into the suits. The third afternoon, I added the elastic. Wella, I had two finished suits! After trying them on, I've decided that self lining is not the way to go. The suits are heavier and will take longer to dry. 

Making two swimsuits was goal number two on my June list. I used three yards of fabric from my stash which brings the total of fabric used this year from my stash to six yards. 

3 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

These look amazing, Terry and perfect fabric!!!. Taking your time over a few days is a good way to get the project completed with as little stress too. Woo Hoo on knocking off one of your goals for the month.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are just amazing, Terry! I would never have thought that making a swimsuit was something I could do. I love the simple lines of your suit - it's hard to find suits like that in the stores these days. Fun fish fabric, too!

Rebecca Grace said...

You should post a step-by-step swimsuit tutorial with photos, Terry. Not only would it be helpful to those of us who have never sewn a swimsuit before, but it would be a perpetual reference for you to pull up any time you can't remember the details of how you did one of the steps!