Sunday, January 29, 2023

Chilhowie Is A Top--post 3

Inner border attached
Constructing the inner border wasn't hard. It was a bit "fiddly" to attach it to the sashed top. Usually, I spend a lot of time placing the fabrics so I don't have similar fabrics next to each other. 

With this project, I did a lot less of that. This border went on without any need for adjusting. Any time that happens, I am happy. Pieced borders often have "fit" issues! I like how the aqua in the border accents the aqua in the other areas of the quilt.

Finished top
I knew the outer border was going to take some time. This time, I did layout the blocks around the quilt because I didn't want similar orange fabrics or purple fabrics close together. Then because I am notorious for not sewing parts together as I laid them out, I pinned the pieces together. 

Again this border fit without any adjustments. Wahoo! It was "fiddly" to save points. In the end, the "fiddling" was with the effort. I like the interest those orange triangles created! 

Pieced back featuring "aged" fabrics from my stash
This is a border that I could incorporate in another project. Over all, I am pleased with my project. I had fun all along the way. This top measures 78 1/2 x 78 1/2 inches. 

While I would rather the top was more of a rectangle, I'm not planning to add additional borders. Finishing it is better than having an unfinished project. This is what happened to my first Bonnie Hunter mystery project. That, however, is a story for another day!

I selected some fabrics that have been in my stash for more than a decade as backing. I'm always trying to use from my stash. It is a lot cheaper to shop in my stash! 

Using from stash also helps create space. Although the three pieces I chose totaled about seven yards, the space it took up on the shelf was only a few inches! I didn't need all that yardage, but, I like to have extra on hand so I can cut the hanging sleeve out of the backing scraps.

Possible thread options
Because I'm still struggling with head, neck and back issues, I plan to pay to have it quilted. To that end, I asked a friend to quilt it. She wrote me an e-mail that stated she would be delighted to quilt it! I'm delighted she said yes! 

I looked through my thread stash and spooled out a few threads that were possible quilting choices. I have those packed and ready to travel along with the parts of the quilt sandwich. I have ideas about an all over quilting pattern for the project.

Quilt sandwich parts and the binding
While I was stitching the blocks together, I considered using a variety of the leftover purple fabrics as binding. As I looked at the top in a photo, I decided that using a variety of the leftover oranges would be a better
choice. I have cut and prepared the binding. 

I like to prepare the binding after I finish the top. There has been occasions in the past of when I didn't prepare the binding after I had finished the top, I ended up using the fabric in another project. Forgetting made me scramble to locate another suitable fabric. I like to make the sleeve after I piece the back of the same reason. 

Because there are scraps in this project, I'm linking to Cynthia and Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework

 

6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your quilt is so pretty! The border is so interesting, it really makes a nice finish to the center. Happy stitching!

Ivani said...

It is a gorgeous quilt, and you did a beautiful work with the borders.
Have a nice week, Terry.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Chilhowie is beautiful, Terry! I'm so glad the borders went on so nicely for you. You're going to have a finished quilt before you know it!

Quiltpiecer said...

I just finished my Chilhowie too, and it looks a lot like yours. I also thought of putting additional borders but I like it the way it is the more I look at it. I was just so happy to get it finished. I'll quilt it sometime before the next mystery later this year :). And thank you for sharing the idea of using the outer border again and for using orange for the binding. Happy quilting!

Janice Smith said...

Your quilt top turned out great!!!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful! Great job getting your top finished!!! I'm stalled at the last border--other things pressing on me. Wonderful accomplishment, Terry!