Sunday, May 15, 2022

Saturday Workshop #3--Applied Edge Appliqué

Applique shapes
Our instructor, Lorraine, has produced amazing applique quilts. It was great to see her demonstrate the technique she uses at a Saturday workshop at the end of January. Years ago, Lorraine had taken a class with Pearl Pereira to learn her method which uses freezer paper. 

I've played with making templates in a Karen Kay Buckley class. For this class, we used freezer to make our own templates. Lorraine provided a pdf that included a variety of shapes. 

My goal was to make one of each shape. We started with the heart shape. I followed her directions of making the freezer paper template. I used the grocery store freezer paper as I didn't have the other brand that she suggested. 

We used Mary Ellen's Best Press with a stipple brush to apply the starch alternative to the edge of the fabric. We worked in small sections and we used an iron to dry the fabric. After I had turned all the edges on a template, I let it cool. Once the template cooled, I removed the freezer paper. The applique shape retained its shape and I was able to reuse it!

I used a bit of glue to anchor the shapes and then applique all but the tree shape on my piece of scrap fabric. I finished the little sample in class. I haven't completed the sample because I'm panning to figure out how to incorporate the tree. At least, that is what Gertie, my inner squirrel, is telling me!

It was a fun class. I look forward to playing again with the technique. Since only scraps were used in this project, I'm linking to Cynthia at Oh Scrap/Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework

Posting about this workshop was goal number four in May list.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Hum, that technique sounds interesting. It's always fun to learn something new.