Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Reflections--

Label

Our Thread Tales book club read "The Glass Blower of Murano" by Marina Fiorato. In the opening pages of the book, the author describes the scene of the lights playing across the water at night. The description made me think of molten glass. The molten glass made me think of marbled fabric.

A number of years prior to reading this book, I had purchased a few small pieces of marbled fabric at the Stash Bazaar. I had intended to border the fabrics and place the pieces together. That idea never felt "right" to me so I continued to enjoy the fabric hanging on my design wall. After reading that description, I pulled one of the fabrics and decided to make it my project for the book.

Finished front
To make the project larger, I added a couple of borders to the marbled fabric. Using bamboo batting and sulky thread, I quilted the lines that were printed into the fabric. I finished the edges using Vicki Pignatelli's facing technique. There is something freeing about cutting an organic line which becomes the edge of the facing. This piece is small--12 3/8 inches wide by 11 1/2 inches high. I finished the piece in 2011. 

I enjoyed the finished piece so much that for years it hung in my studio where I could easily see it as I stitched.  I took it down when we were on the list to evacuate because of huge fire that occurred in our area in the summer of 2020. I packed it along with all my other finished quilts. 

Now, it lives with my group of "small" quilts from which I select one or two each month to display around the house.

No comments: