Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Making Progress on Frolic Border (post 9)

This week, I pulled out the components to make more half square triangles for the Frolic border. It's been about a month since I last worked on this project. I took some time to reacquaint myself with the process I had been following.
Components in the making of the zig zag border

When I know it is going to be some time before I get back to a project, I leave a trail of parts in process so I can "remember" what I was doing! I had few raspberry type fabrics so I cut more parts. I scrounged my leftover bits from the quilt and found a few more blue fabrics. 

At the end of my sewing session, I had pieced five more sections. I still have more to piece; but, less than when I started! Perhaps before the end of the month, I'll get another five six sections pieced. Then it will be time to see how many more pieces and sections I need to finish the border!

The reason I pieced a strip of four zig zags was I knew that I would use all of the HSTs I made at the start of the project. Since this project is bigger than the original design, I would need more HSTs. I used scrap fabrics which I've stitched into the project. Using up is great! I've pulled more strips from my "collection." I plan to sprinkle those in between the sections I've already pieced to retain a sort of randomness in the border.

Stitched sections

Gertie, my inner squirrel, wants to know what white inner border fabric I've selected. I haven't thought about the size or the fabric. She has been asking how I'm going to deal with the corners. She has ideas. I'm glad she has ideas. I told her that when I stitch enough sections to fit the outer edge, "we" will consider her ideas. She's excited. 

This was goal number two on my August list.


4 comments:

Mereknits said...

It looks so wonderful. I can't believe you can keep all of these projects straight! Good luck and stay safe.

Rebecca Grace said...

Your Frolic border is coming along nicely, and I love your idea about leaving yourself a "trail" of in-progress steps to remind yourself where you were when you come back to a project later. Like Gretel leaving a trail of bread crumbs when her dad tries to ditch them in the forest because they can't afford to feed their kids anymore... Fairy tales are horrible, aren't they?! Hah!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Rebecca, I truly thought about Hansel and Gretel when I left parts of the project in various stages! Yes, those fairy tales are horrible; but, they didn't seem that way when I first heard them! Now to carve out time to actually finish the parts to the borders so I can attach them to the top! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Mere, The projects are in my line of sight. . .so I see them lurking. . .the ones that I haven't worked on in a while though. . .It does take me some time to "remember" what I was thinking of doing and how I had established the stitching process. . . Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. I have plenty of projects so boredom is not a situation I encounter! LOL