Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Yellow String Blocks-RSC Month 2

Finished yellow string blocks
Yellow is the color this month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC). Yellow is not a color that I have much of in my stash. I raided Martha's strings and my strings to come up with enough of a variety of strings to start piecing. I do have some yellow scrap chunks that I could cut into strings if needed.

Over a couple afternoons, I paper pieced 12 blocks. I thought that I liked the pink blocks best from last month. Now that I have pieced the yellow blocks, I like the yellow blocks best. I wonder, if at the end of March, I will like the March blocks best? Time will tell!

I removed the paper and I considered sewing the blocks together; but, I decided to wait until I finish sewing all the blocks. I might choose to mix the block colors rather than keeping them separate. Depending on my design, I may have blocks leftover for a second project! (Each block will finish at eight inches.) 

The black fabric which resembles sashing when the blocks are set on the diagonal, gives these blocks a modern feel. I also like using a variety of off white/white/cream and light tan neutrals. Those blocks also look interesting. So far, I like piecing a few blocks. I like piecing from my scraps, although I don't see a noticeable reduction in the amount of scraps! I'm having fun participating in the RSC and I'm glad I decided to hop in and play along.

I will need to cut more neutral strings to sew the blocks for next month; but, that won't be difficult! I'm linking to Rainbow Scrap Challenge. If you want to participate, go to this link to access the landing page.


25 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Ooh, I like these blocks, too! The yellow looks so sophisticated, paired with black and creamy neutrals.

Luann Fischer said...

I love those yellow blocks with a black strip. I’m going to try to follow along with this colorful challenge. It’ll be a way of motivating me to use colors I may not otherwise use.

Anonymous said...

Stunning! Love the color combinations. Gail G

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Rebecca, I was surprised at how great all those shades of yellow and neutral paired together with that black. Truly, amazing!!! Thanks for dropping by and commenting!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, do follow along. . .I watched for years before I hopped in! So far, I've used two colors I don't use often----Pink and Yellow! Have fun with the challenge.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Gail, I think you would have fun with this block. I've been surprised at how well all the blocks have turned out!!!

grammajudyb said...

Who doesn’t love a string block? These are fabulous!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Judy. I've several string block projects in process. . .I think I'm becoming addicted. . . !!!! String blocks are fun!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are great with the black center and then neutrals on one side and the color on the other! I always love the designs you can make with those string blocks.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you Diann! I'm learning that those little strings are really little gems in disguise! I'm having fun with making the blocks!

Bonnie said...

Your blocks look great. I like the black running through the center of all the blocks. I've enjoyed playing in the yellows but I am definitely ready to move on to a new color!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad to hear that you are having fun working with your scraps, Terry! The Rainbow Scrap Challenge is one of my favorite Link Parties on the internet. It's tons of scrappy fun!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I do enjoy the RSC link very much! It is tons of fun!!! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!

Deb A said...

These look great with the yellow, neutral and black. Very striking blocks and it will be a stunning quilt at the end of the year.

Ivani said...


I'm addicted to String Blocks and yours look fantastic with the black string in the center.
Great Job Terry!

Cathy said...

I just love any kind of string blocks. I've never made your version with neutrals on half and a color on the other. They are delightful. I think you are wise to wait until you have them all made and play around a little bit before you start sewing any together.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Deb, I am surprised each time I make some blocks at how great they look. I had no idea! Thank you for your comment!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Ivani, I've lots of strings so I can stay addicted for quite awhile myself!! Thank you for letting me know that waiting is good to do before setting themselves!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Cathy, thank you for your comment. Waiting until I've made the blocks will probably be the wisest move . . .it allows me to think about different arrangements which is terrific!

Sue said...

Your blocks look great! You may have seen my finish of these blocks last week on Angela's Saturday post. If not, here's a link to see how I laid mine out for some inspiration! http://www.careyfamily.org/rsc2021-feb-yellow-week-3/

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

No Sue, I missed your post. Thank you for including your link. Your project is AMAZING! I LOVE it!

Katie Z. said...

Scraps do seem to multiply instead of being used up sometimes, don’t they?

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Katie, YES!!! Those scraps reproduce so quickly! LOL!

scraphappy said...

Your yellow blocks look great! When green gets added they will be even better.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Scrap Happy. . .green will be a great add to the yellow and pink! I'm looking forward to stitching the blocks!