Sunday, January 24, 2021

Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Leftover pinks and background options
I did it. . . .I started yet ANOTHER project! Can you say. . .SQUIRREL??? Squirrel describes me since I'm easily attracted to a new and interesting project. Actually. . .I started THREE projects. For at least the last three years, I've watched people posting their blocks to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC.) Each month, they make a set of blocks or sets of blocks using a specific color. At the end of the year, people turn their blocks into projects. Some people make projects each month after creating the blocks.

Cynthia Bunz at Oh Scrap, Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework, also has been encouraging me to join. I enjoy each of her posts but my favorite day to read is Sunday when she hosts an Oh Scrap Linky party for scrap projects. I'll be linking this post to her party!

Every year, I've talked myself out of joining the challenge. This year, I saw so many interesting blocks that I again considered jumping on board. The color for January was released. . .it was pink! 

Stitching strings
Since, I have so little pink in my stash, I decided not to join. Then, someone in the group posted some pink string blocks. Those string blocks caused me to reconsider. When I received the supply list for the class I took last Saturday, I decided that I would be a RSC participant after all. The class, that I had registered for without knowing the project, was HEARTS!  I haven't made a Valentine themed project so I was happy that I had registered! 

A number of years ago, I participated in a strip exchange of pink and red fabrics that could be used for Valentine themed projects. I selected that package of strips. I also pulled the pink and pinkish strings from my friend Martha's scraps. I started sewing strings into fabric. The pattern for the class was from Cluck Cluck Sew. It was the Making Hearts in different sizes pattern.

When I saw the pattern, I started thinking table runner. I needed a background fabric. In my mind, I saw a light neutral printed with hearts. I went to the local quilt shop. The owner told me that her order of heart themed fabrics had been delayed. She was sad because she feared her order would arrive about June! 

Auditioning corners
The owner showed me the heart fabrics available in her shop. While the fabrics were wonderful, none that she showed me would work in this project. The fabric was predominately red or the fabric contained large scale prints. I'll admit there was a fabric that I personally loved; but, I managed to leave it on the shelf. I located a gray dotted fabric and two fabrics that had tiny white hearts. One was a navy and the other was a blue. I'm sure the owner had some thoughts about my choices since I had asked for hearts on a neutral background!  

I started stitching. I paper pieced enough string fabric to make four nine inch hearts. I used three chunks of pink scraps and the pink strips from a pink and red strip from that exchange I referenced earlier. The strips added immensely to the piecing.

After I had completed stitching the strings into fabric. I pulled a couple of strips to make into eight four inch hearts. It was at that point I had to choose my background fabric. I chose the grey dotted fabric. I stitched two large hearts and four small hearts. 

Piecing the hearts took me some time because I used the folded corners ruler to trim the corners of the heart fabrics. I used the essential triangle tool to cut the grey dotted fabric into triangles to piece what I trimmed away on the heart fabrics. It was some trial and error. Of course, I made some errors. None of the errors, however, was bad enough to cause me to toss the block and start over! 

When "close" is enough
I veered from the pattern directions because I didn't want to cut squares, draw a line sew next to the line and trim the excess. This process creates waste triangles. I didn't want to create waste triangles. I took photos along the way.When I stitch the next set of heart blocks, I will refine my process. I might even write a tutorial so that when I want to trim corners again, I have a reference! Had I followed the pattern directions, I likely would have finished the table runner topper faster! With my method though, I have fewer waste triangles left behind!

My original plan was to float the hearts on the grey background. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of the grey print left to get the runner to the 14 inch width that I wanted. I looked through the exchange strips and I chose a red geometric print to create an inner border. I cut the strip in half. I had just enough to make it work. Generally, I like to have a little more wiggle room; but, in the end it worked. The strip adds a lot of energy to the piece so it was serendipity at its best to need to add a strip of fabric to the runner! 

Finished runner top
I have a leftover piece of batting from quilting Unity that will be the perfect size to quilt this piece. I plan to use the pink plaid fabric as backing. I originally stitched a skirt for my oldest granddaughter with that fabric. Since this runner likely will end up at her house, she will notice that fabric right away!

I don't have a plan for the quilting other than beginning with stitching in the ditch to secure the pieces. I often start quilting with no more of an idea than the ditch quilting. I let the process evolve. Most of the time that works for me.

Of the remaining leftover grey print fabric, I don't have enough for a double fold binding. I could purchase more fabric; but, I'm currently planning to make do. Although, I don't know what making do means yet! For future reference, had I purchased three quarters of a yard of the grey print fabric instead of half a yard, I wouldn't be scrambling for binding! Then again, I wouldn't have added that red print inner border either!

The materials for additional strings
I had pink strips left so I started string piecing those. I was inspired to string piece from Allison's New Every Morning blog post. I have limited pink scraps so I decided to piece half of the block with neutral fabrics, half of the block with pink fabrics and in the middle I added a black strip. I stitched eight blocks. I still have pink strips so I'll piece some more string blocks. These blocks will finish at eight inches. 

As the year progresses, I can make more of these string blocks in the color of the monthly scrap challenge. At the end of the year, I will have enough blocks to put together a nice sized quilt. . .well, that is my plan until the "squirrel" in me appears and I get side tracked! My three projects are two table runners and string blocks. Stay tuned for the projects that I started yesterday!

Regarding COVID: 

Worldwide: 96.2M cases; 2.06M deaths

United States: 25M cases; 417K deaths

Oregon: 138K cases; 1,882 deaths

Eight RSC blocks
The UK variant has been reported in Oregon and in Washington. Vaccinations are continuing. The hospital where I work is no longer vaccinating employees with the first dose of Moderna. Any of the remaining doses are being distributed externally to Tier 1A individuals. Tier 1A individuals include health care workers and care center residents. The hospital has been vaccinating employees with the second dose of Moderna. 

In Oregon, most health care workers and care center residents have had their first dosage. Prisoners, teachers and people older than 65 are next on the list. The 27 member advisory panel listed staggered eligibility dates for those individuals. 

The advisory panel hasn't determined which groups will receive the vaccine next.  The logistics of scheduling so many people for the vaccine is an issue. Last week, I helped several pharmacists renew their CPR certification so they could join the injection staff. I hope the process goes well. My husband may be eligible some time in March although I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen until June. 




10 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love your table runner! How clever to make those hearts from strings. I might have to try that sometime myself.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! And hopping onto the RSC!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your tablerunner is so pretty! I love the string hearts especially. In Colorado, we are still trying to get the 70+ folks vaccinated, and it has been hard to get an appointment. We finally did for my husband, but only because a friend sent out a note that the Safeway pharmacy in the next town over was taking appointments for this coming week. We're really disappointed in our primary medical providers for their lack of communication about vaccines. It's a frustrating time!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Cynthia, I didn't have a large enough piece of fabric that I really liked to make a plain heart. . . strings to the rescue! Thank you for your encouragement to hop on to RSC!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Diann, I sure didn't have an idea that those string hearts would be that much fun! Washington state is setting up appointments; but, not in Oregon. It is a mess. One would think the pharmacies would have the vaccine as well as all the clinics. . .but, at least here, the issue is the 15 minute wait time and keeping the social distancing protocols in place. There is also the issue of storing the vaccine. . .For sure it is a frustrating time. We will get there. I hope that the vaccine will work on the variant virus too!

dq said...

The strings are gorgeous! Honestly, they really are.
Thanks for the stats on Covid.

MissPat said...

Terry, now that you have a pink table runner almost done, you should head over to thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com and join in the Table Scraps challenge. The first linkup is this coming Saturday. Here in upstate NY, they've finally set up some mass distribution vaccination sites, but have run out of vaccine. My husband and I are eligible, but with no vaccine available, we're still waiting to be contacted by our health care system which sent an email 2 weeks ago that they would call us to set up appointments.
Pat

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

DJ, thanks for your comment. I'm pleased with how those strings transformed those hearts. They sort of resemble frilly now!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Miss Pat, Thank you for the invite to Table Scraps. . .I will check it out! I hope that the distribution of the vaccine will soon be a smooth process. Thanks for sharing what is happening in your state.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love the grey dot background! Maybe you could do a flanged binding--that uses skinnier strips of 2 different fabrics.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, I might be able to swing a flanged binding. . .I'll think about options while I'm quilting the piece! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!