Sunday, January 17, 2021

2021 Temperature Quilt--post 1

Hand dyed fabrics
Last October, I read a blog about a temperature quilt. I did a little research on Pinterest. About that time, a group of quilters through the Mt. Hood Quilt guild started talking about this topic. A couple gals took the lead and formed a group. I decided to join and make my version of a 2021 temperature quilt.

For some time, I've wanted to stitch a project with Vicki Welsh's hand dyed fabrics. You can find her at Colorways By Vicki Welsh. I know that I will need to order more of some fabrics as the year progresses; but, for now, this was a good start. I'm using a palette of 20 colors.

When the fabrics arrived. I tested all of them for bleeding. They all bled. Some fabrics bled more than others. All the fabrics received a wash in synthrapol.  I wouldn't want any surprises if I need to wet the quilt at the end of the process! I also wouldn't want surprises when the scraps end up in another project!

I spent time looking at temperature quilts on Pinterest. What a variety of projects people have stitched over the years! I wanted the end project to be small. I wanted a project that included handwork. I also wanted to document all the days in the year that rain falls in addition to the high and the low of the day. 

Prewashing the fabric
In the end, I decided to hand applique a circle which represented the high of the day, to a square which represented the low of the day. I'm using a website, DarkSky, as my resource for the daily temperature. I like the website for two reasons. One, I can look at the history so I don't have to record the temperature every day. Two, I can select my address as the location for the temperature. The temperature in Damascus, Oregon varies a bit from Portland, Oregon. The ability to record the temperatures in Damascus makes the project personal to me. 

I chose circles because I wanted to make better looking circles when I hand applique. After I do the process 365 times, I should be an expert! I'm using Karen Kay Buckley's perfect circles as the template. 
Prepping the circle

I also plan to add hand stitching to some of the units. The units will finish to two inches.

The hand stitching will represent the days it rains. I haven't decided what stitches I'll choose. I do know that I will stitch a variety of stitches since there are many stitches from which to choose. I like to experiment!

Deciding how to set the rows will come later. Currently, I'm focusing on making the units. I am keeping the date/temperature/rainfall documentation on the units until I set them. I've been auditioning different layouts with different fabrics. I've been playing in my grey scraps. I'm considering setting the blocks to resemble a calendar using grey as the neutral. Then again, another color might be a better fit. I've time to determine what design elements I'll use!

I've been preparing four to seven days worth of units and then appliquéing the circles in the evenings or when I have waiting time for appointments.  It's all a process. It is okay that I don't have an answer yet! Because I'm planning to use scraps as filler to the blocks, I'm linking to Oh Scrap/Quilting is More Fun Than
Housework
.
Thread lace leaf

A week ago, Saturday, I took a virtual workshop with one of our Clark County guild members. She taught thread lace, I had fun making the leaf in class. It is three different colors for green thread stitched over water soluble stabilizer and tulle. I might use it in this project. I might make other thread lace items to embellish this project. I could make a snowflake, a pumpkin or I could make leaves in a variety of colors. It was fun creating the thread lace. I plan to create more items using that technique!

Regarding COVID:
Worldwide: 94.5M cases; 2.02M deaths
United States: 23.8M cases; 396K deaths
Oregon: 132K cases; 1800 deaths

Last Tuesday, I became one of the more than a thousand people vaccinated through the hospital where I work. I received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine. I will be receiving the second dose sometime between February seventh and February eleventh. I am grateful to have received the first dose.

Possible layout
As the vaccine entered my arm, I felt an intense burning sensation. I thought I'd be one the ones who had a bad reaction; but, that feeling dissipated by the time I was receiving my bandaid. I didn't have any other reactive symptoms. Fifteen minutes after receiving the infection, I drove home.

I did have a sore arm and felt "off" for about four days. I had a headache. I felt nauseous. I felt a little dizzy and I felt fatigued. In short, I felt like I was coming down with the flu.

Auditioning 
On the fifth day, I felt much better. Although, on the sixth day, I felt like I was fighting off a bad cold. That headache comes and goes. I'm positive that when tomorrow arrives, I will feel right as rain. (This was a saying that my grandmother use to say!) Massaging the arm that received the shot, icing the vaccination site, taking ibuprofen and taking it easy helped me manage the symptoms.

I understand that people receiving the second dosage report stronger side effects. I'll be ready to face the recovery. I also participated in the CDC health watch program. Daily I check in and list my symptoms. Since there is little data about the vaccines' effect on people, this documentation will provide historical data.










6 comments:

Deb said...

So inspiring, I may have to try a temperature quilt myself! I hear they are addicting, I have a sewbuddy who is on her third!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Deb. . .a third??? Oh my! It may be good I didn't know about this possibility earlier! Happy to hear that you were inspired and I hope you will join in too!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your temperature quilt. It is supposed to get cold soon. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I prefer Dark Sky, too. Your temperature quilt is looking like a lot of thought has gone into it. It is looking amazing.

Interesting to hear your experience with the vaccine. I'll keep those things in mind when it's my turn.

Janice Smith said...

I have started a cross stitch temperature tree. Thanks for the tip about Dark Sky.
Glad to hear you were able to get your first dose of vaccine. I’m hoping to be able to get vaccinated next month. . . fingers crossed.
Stay safe.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

You will have fun with your temperature tree. My fingers are crossed that you are able to receive your vaccination next month!
Thanks for dropping in for a visit!