Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The Journey--A 2010 Project

Label
A few posts ago, I wrote about the applique class I had taken with Nancy Chong as the instructor.  I shared the Woodland Flower project that I had made as a result.

After the class, I started a second two fabric applique project. I challenged myself to use the same fabrics; but, with a totally different theme. At the time, our "Thread Tales" book club was reading the book, "The Tenth Gift" by Jane Johnson. In the story, one of the characters is pirated away on a ship. She spent many days at sea thinking about what she left behind and wondering about what was ahead of her. 

Pebbles with a pin for size comparison
The colors that I envisioned her seeing on those many days at sea were brown and blue. Brown to represent the ship and land. Blue to represent water. The leftover fabric from the Woodland Flower project was on the cutting table. I had drawn a ship pattern from Nancy's class because it had the majority of applique shapes to practice. I remember thinking how interesting it was that the project seemed to put itself together! This project went faster because I had a better grasp of the needle turn appliqué technique.

When it came time to quilt, I used all silk threads and practiced micro quilting in selected areas of the background. 

Micro stippling with a pin for size comparison
I loved how the silk thread provided a slight shimmer much like sunlight provides on the water. I used silk thread in the needle. I used a 50 wt 2ply cotton thread in the bobbin.

I did trapunto the larger leaves of the brown fabric. I liked the dimension it gave to the piece. I used a layer of wool batting to achieve the puff. I did make an attempt to position the leaves to give dimension to the sail.

I backed the piece with the leaf fabric. It is fun to see a larger section of that leaf print. I used the wrong side of a fabric for the sleeve. For fun, I used the right side of that same sleeve fabric to sash the label.

View of the back
I actually finished this project before I finished the Woodland Flower project! I'm posting about this project because it has been a goal of mine to document the quilts that I have hanging about the house as well as many of those I've made and gifted over the years. 

I do remember that I had fun making the project as well as working through the trapunto process. That blue batik fabric made a good sea. In the Woodland Flower project, I turned the same fabric 180 degrees and use the lines to represent rain. It worked well for both uses!

Tomorrow evening is our Clark County Quilters guild general meeting. We are meeting virtually. The program is our virtual quilt show. I'll update this post and include the link to the show. 

View of the front
This is the show that was scheduled for April 2020, then the in person show was rescheduled for November 11-14, 2020. COVID meeting protocols forced the quilt show committee to take the show virtual.

The show will be open until December 31. There are viewer choice buttons available to vote on your overall favorites as well as your favorite in each category. Although we won't get to see the quilts in person and visit the vendors, there is no entry or parking fee!

Please come and enjoy the show. Pour yourself a cuppa and stay awhile. The link is: https://quiltfestnw.org. I've several entries and my granddaughter's first quilt is also in the show. Membership to the guild for the remaining months of the year is $20. We have virtual speakers scheduled for our meetings through the end of June 2021. If you can't make the live webinar, the meeting is recorded and saved to the website for one month so you can view it at any time. It is a great value for twenty dollars! Come and join us! I plan to add this link to each post until the end of the voting period.



2 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

I’m glad to hear that your guild has adjusted for our current set of circumstances. I do have concerns for all the vendors that relied on shows for their livelihoods. This year will certainly put all of us through the testing of our stamina. Stay strong!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, we too have concerns about our vendors--many of them have been with us for many years. I too hope they will recover and will be back. This year continues to test our stamina. We can't be anything but strong! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.