Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Fourth Quarter Goals 2020

#1-#4. Flannel scraps tops started from Martha's scraps
Last quarter, I had one finish which was the flounce leggings that I made for my granddaughters. This quarter, I'm rolling my list sans that one finish forward! It wasn't that I didn't work on projects; it was that I didn't get any more than one to the finish line!

I'm listing 15 projects. Projects one through four, are flannel tops that I made from Martha's leftover "adult" scraps. (I haven't started tops with her leftover "kid" flannel scraps!) Last quarter, I went to the Mt. Hood quilt guild's fabric sale and pick up some flannel to supplement the projects I had started. I was successful. The flannels I chose paired well with Martha's vintage scraps!

I now have three of the four tops completed as well as pieced three backs. I doubt that I'll work on the fourth top until after I quilt these three tops. I plan to develop my walking foot quilting skills when quilting the tops. Although, in the larger areas, I may try to slip in a little quilting with rulers!
#5-#12 projects 

Projects #5-#12 are listed below:
#5 is to finish quilting Unity. Last quarter I quilted five of the six full borders. I also have three half borders to quilt. Surely, I can finish this project this quarter! 

#6 is to stitch the hand dyed black fabric into a modern styled wall hanging with the red corduroy applique and other red accents. I thought about this project last quarter.

 #7 is to make a summer dress for the youngest granddaughter. I looked at the fabric last quarter.
#13-#16 projects
#8 is to stitch myself a dress. Originally, I planned to stitch a wrap dress. . .now, I'm not sure on the style. I'm still considering an empire waistline dress. I need to purchase a pattern!

#9 is cross stitching six Santa ornaments. I thought it would take me a couple weeks in the evening to complete these. I did complete the stitching. What is left is to cut the ornaments apart and add the hangers. Perhaps, this will be on of my first completions in the fourth quarter!

#10 is stitching the leftover tie fabrics from the tuffet project into a wall hanging. My plan is to machine piece the strings together into strip and to hand piece hexagon stars 
Flannel top #1 ready for basting

together out of the larger pieces. Last quarter, I pulled the pieces out the storage bag and fluffed them; but, I didn't do any stitching.

#11 is to stitch three camel back carry all bags. Nothing happened with this project last quarter. 

#12 is to stitch one and maybe two flounce leggings for the granddaughters. I actually finished this project!

Projects #13-#16 are below:
#13 is to quilt this top. It was one of the last tops my friend Martha made. I know of a high school graduate that would like it as a finished quilt. Last quarter, I pieced a back and pin basted it together. It is ready to be quilted. I'm planning a lot of in the ditch quilting with something in the sashing.

#14 is that little piece of embroidery that I thought wanted to be a pillow. It wanted to be a wall hanging. I decided it needed a word. It looked like Summer to me so I penciled in that word on the piece. I thought that I would get the word embroidered last quarter; but, it didn't happen!
Flannel top #2 ready for basting

#15 is Miss K's mermaid. I hope that we will be able to finish this project. Covid keeps us from working on it. 

#16 is the applique butterfly that I started September 2018 in a Susan Carlson class. Last quarter, I glue basted the butterfly and more than half of the background pieces. I've still a long way to go; but, I did make a lot of progress.

Since it is the last day of the month, I'll report that I trained 43 people in American Heart Healthcare provider CPR.

I also read a few books. Our local library has opened with restrictions. We can't go in; but, we can place a hold on a book. We are notified when it is available and then we schedule a time to pick it up. I've done this a couple of times and will keep doing it. I miss "browsing" and I miss sampling the books in the shelves!

This quarter, our book club read biography books of our choosing. One of the gals read and recommended "Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before" by Tony Horwitz. I enjoyed reading it too. I learned a lot of about Captain Cook and appreciated the author retracing Cook's
Flannel top #3 ready for basting
travel. I can't imagine being away from my home for three years, yet Cook did this two times successfully! 

"The Library Book" by Susan Orlean is about the Central Library in San Francisco burning in 1986. If you don't remember this story, it is probably because the Chernobyl Disaster happened two days later. The author includes the history of the library as well as provides a snippet of the activities there as well as the staff that manage those activities. It was an interesting read. I had just finished it when the fires in Oregon broke out. When I left for the day with my GO bag, I also took this library book with me. I thought how awful it would be if this book was burned in a fire!

"The Paris Seamstress" by Natasha Lester is written about two women in two different eras. The first era happens around World War II and the second era is modern day. I enjoyed learning about the high fashion houses. The author described how designs were taken from sketch to the garment both in Paris and then in New York. The making of flowers was an industry I hadn't heard of so I learned about that skill. If you liked the "The Lilac Girls," and "The Nightingale" you would probably like this book too.
Martha's pieced top ready for basting

"The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter" by Hazel Gaynor is a historical novel that follows Grace Darling, the daughter of a lighthouse keeper, through a portion of her life circa 1838. She helps her father save some ship wrecked people stranded on a rock near their light house during a storm. The other part of the book follows Matilda Emmerson Flaherty who leaves Ireland in disgrace and lodges with a relative who is the keeper at Rose Island Lighthouse circa 1938. The author did a great job of weaving the story line between the two and I recommend it to you too. You'll have to read it to find out how the two people are connected. 

Thanks, Janice from a Positive Outlook, for recommending this read. I do plan to read some of the books the author listed that read for background information while writing this book.


No comments: