Sunday, September 6, 2020

Behind the scenes with a virtual quilt show

The crew
Our Clark County Quilters guild has held an annual quilt show each April for 44 years. COVID canceled the April 2020 show. The committee moved the 45th annual show to November; but, COVID canceled the in person event. However, committee members decided to take the show virtual. The show will open November 12 at 7PM. The show will be available until the end of December 2020. What a great way to end an upside down year.

When we entered our quilts last February, we submitted an entry form and a photo. Sometimes the photos are of finished quilts. Sometimes the photos are of in process quilts. Sometimes, the photos are of a sketch and fabrics!

Signing in
I submitted an entry the latter way once myself. I was challenged to finish the project in time to hang in the show. I decided that for future entries, I wouldn't experience that kind of stress again! You can read about that entry here.

To take the show virtual, the committee needed a good photo of the finished quilts that we entered. They offered several opportunities for us to bring the quilts to them for a photographic session. They also shared tips for taking photos of our quilts if we chose to photograph the quilts on our own.

I use my cell phone camera to take photographs. I have one wall in the house that works for photographing small to medium quilts; but, the wall isn't a great color because it's a soft yellow. The lighting in the room always gives me a shadow. I also had one quilt that was too large to photograph on the wall. I signed up for the first opportunity to have my entries photographed.

The day was last Tuesday. We all wore masks and for the most part, we all stayed six feet apart. I snapped a few photos of the process. This guild year has been upside down due to the effects of COVID. I decided to post my experience in my blog today.

Karan and Deb hanging Star Patch
When I arrived, I signed in. There were three quilt stands set up to receive quilts. The committee was set up to have six quilts ready for photographing. It didn't take long for the ladies to have my entries up and ready to photograph.

Karan and Deb hung my larger entries. Jean hung the smaller ones. Bev and Sharry snapped the photos. I arrived at 8:55AM and was out the door at 9:15AM! 

I hope the day went as smooth for all the other people who came after me! When the virtual quilt show is available to view, I'll  share the link so you will be able to go to the show from the comfort of your home!

Jean hanging New Beginnings
Speaking of virtual shows, a friend of mine shared a link to the Portland Society for Calligraphy show. Her name is Gema and her exhibit is towards the end. Pour yourself a cup of your favorite drink and enjoy the slide show. 

Regarding my projects, I'm making slow progress on the butterfly collage, the Santa ornaments and the Unity quilt projects. I'm far from a finish on any of those projects! 

Regarding COVID:
Worldwide: 26.9M confirmed; 17.9M recovered; 880K deaths
United States: 6.35M confirmed; 3.41M recovered; 191K deaths
Oregon: 27,601 confirmed; 475 deaths

Tuesday, my granddaughters have their first day of school. They are excited and they will be attending on line classes at least until the end of October.

Thursday, our Clark County Quilters board decided to continue
Bev taking a photo

holding Zoom general meetings until July 2020. Friday, the governor allowed swimming pools to re-open. I'm not sure how facilities will implement the restrictions; but, I'm glad the opportunity to swim again exists! It's been seven months since I've been swimming. I sure miss it.  

Regarding the protests:
For the 14th week, the protests continue. The man who was suspected of firing the shots that killed another man last weekend at the protests, died this week when police tried to arrest him. Last Monday night, 200 people protested outside of Portland mayor Ted Wheeler's condominium home demanding his resignation over his handling of the destructive aspect of the protests.  
Sharry taking a photo

The protest turned into a riot. Protestors started a fire in the street using a nearby picnic table as the fuel. They then broke 
the dental office windows of the business that occupied the lower level of the condominium building. Protestors tossed office supplies including a chair into the fire. 

Surrounding area police departments have not volunteered to help the Portland Police department because the city is choosing not to prosecute offenders that are arrested for misdemeanor offenses. What a mess!!!



No comments: