Sunday, September 27, 2020

A Bag of Flannel Scraps--A Second Project Starting With A Rectangle

Assortment of scraps in third group
The assortment of scraps in the third of the four flannel groups were ready for me to tackle next. As I sorted the scraps into like sizes, I again found four rectangles that measured a similar size--5 1/2 inches by 10 inches.

There were also a few three to four inch strips that I used to frame the rectangles. There wasn't enough of the strips to frame the entire rectangle. Nor was there enough fabrics to coordinate sections.

There was enough of a print fabric to cut four more rectangles. To make the ninth rectangle, I made a four patch and placed that different block in the center.

I reserved two solid greens and a large scale print fabric for possible borders. I've learned having chunks to make borders helps to unify the project. The remaining fabrics I string pieced for borders. Slowly, the piece began to evolve.
Beginning the framing process

Having a design wall helps the process move smoother. Once I had completed the frames and the string border, it was time to assemble the sections. The dark purplish fabric was the right length to separate the horizontal rows. I cut it into two inch strips and I had an inch and a half strip left to sprinkle into the string section. (I've also learned when constructing string borders, to leave the sections unstitched to make adding or sprinkling additional fabrics easier.)

The large print fabric was the perfect length for the outside border. The reserved green fabrics framed the top and bottom of the panel. There was just enough of the string border to stitch to the top of the panel.
The few leftovers
When I finished, the top measured 32 inches by 44 inches. I decided to put the black strips in the last project so I didn't use that fabric. The remaining fabrics from my first flannel top made into this top.

Our Mt. Hood Quilt Guild held a fabric sale last August. I was able to pick up a few pieces of flannel to help get this top and the other two flannel tops I had started from Martha's scraps to a 40 inch by 60 inch size. I used those few leftovers and made a couple more borders. I cut a binding and pieced a back.

Stitching those flannel fabrics of Martha's into a useable item with little waste was my goal. After all, I had rescued those bits from going to the landfill! I'm learning how to play with the various elements. What was fun about this project was how the light beige flannel made the project feel more modern to me! As I stitched this project, it let me know that it wanted to be my next book club quilt.
Pieced back

I had read "Wonderful Adventures of Mary Seacole in Many Lands" which is an autobiography. Mary, or Mother Secole as the military men called her, was a British-Jamaican nurse, healer and business women who set up the "British Hotel" behind the lines in the Crimean war. Her hotel was made of whatever she could find to build it and she provided many hot meals to the soldiers. It was an interesting read. 

Finishing this project will happen. I plan to finish quilting Unity and possibly another quilt first. I haven't quilted on Unity in a couple weeks as it was one of the projects packed when we were at the level two evacuation order. 

I am thankful that I have plenty of projects to keep me busy! I plan to share the other two tops and backs in a future post. I'll be linking up with Oh Scrap. Quilting IS more fun than housework!

Regarding COVID:
Worldwide: 36.2M confirmed; 990 deaths
United States: 7.08M confirmed; 204K deaths
Oregon: 32,314 confirmed; 542 deaths
In Oregon, last week we had the highest confirmed cases of COVID since recording the statistics began. The spike in cases has been attributed to people not social distancing over Labor Day weekend and youth not social distancing. In spite of the rise in cases, some school districts are considering opening the schools to students beginning October first. I hope that officials will continue the online studies as I am concerned for my granddaughters' safety. 

Finished top
Regarding the protests:
Protesting continues. Yesterday, there were two opposing protests scheduled. Police planned to keep the two groups from merging. The protests were mostly peaceful although police did confiscate paintballs, baseball bats and firearms during one traffic stop.

Oregon Fire update:
About one million acres have burned and 7,500 personnel have responded to fight the fires. The personnel does not include landowners, government employees, community members and forestland operators who contribute every day. Friday, it was reported that 2,600 people were staying in shelters the previous night. I don't have a number of homes destroyed. Nor do I know how many people were affected financially by the fires. Unfortunately, nine people died in the nine fires that burned our state. The Riverside fire which was the one closest to us is about 34% contained. Thursday, officials lifted the level one evacuation that we were under.






6 comments:

Bonnie said...

It's wonderful that you are making a quilt with the flannels from your friend. I like your listing of what is happening in the big issues of your state and the world. It will be a great review of the year many years hence. I had noticed that the two demonstrations were surprisingly peaceful. I'm hoping the fires can be brought under control.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Hi Bonnie, thanks for stopping by! My friend would be tickled to see her fabrics made into a finished project. I hope the fires will be extinguished soon without any more loss of life or property. It is going to be a long time before many people recover here.

Janice Smith said...

Your flannel quilt top turned out lovely.
I am relieved to hear the evacuation orders have been lifted.
Our Governor, Charlie Baker, has taken a strong stance on all covid related matters, but Massachusetts has had 9,415 deaths. The emphasis now is a push to get all children back in schools; each city and town has a different mix of options. My fear is that as we head into the fall and winter, they will be forced to shut schools again.

Stay safe.

Rebecca Grace said...

That flannel top came out great! Such a fresh, modern design even with very traditional fabrics. I think that makes it even more impactful and interesting. Fires, protests, viruses, politics -- I can't even go there. I feel like an electrical circuit with too many appliances plugged in, and then someone turns on a hair dryer and I just have to blow a fuse and shut down EVERYTHING! :-)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, In some areas of the state, kids have physically been attending school. Counties in which the Covid cases are rising have been conducting online school sessions only. Parents have been pressuring district officials to open because online school isn't working well in their family. I share your concern. I'd like to continue moving forward!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Rebecca, It is interesting how the scraps seemed to place themselves in this design which happened because there was enough of that to fit there approach! Yes, there is too much going on all of the time! I hope that there isn't a tipping point where everything is shut down AGAIN! Thanks for stopping by!