Sunday, August 16, 2020

Licensed to Cut Loose--Post 5

Working on the final layout
At the beginning of week seven, I worked with the outer skinny shape of the lower wings first. As per usual, some parts of the section flowed together easily while other parts didn't. The whole project has progressed in this manner.

Once I had the final layout started, I continued with the other side. One side worked great and the other side did not. I moved on to the outer section of the butterfly to let what wasn't working marinate for bit!

From my previous post, I thought that I would continue adding a few red triangles at the top of the butterfly. I tried a variety of red fabrics. I found that my eye didn't notice the red. I think the colors in the lower part of the wing contrasted better to the dark geometric print. I saved the red triangles for either another part of this project or a whole other project!

Lest you think that I cut a piece of fabric for that outer section of the wing, I did not. These are all triangles. I liked the way the pattern changed using small shapes. Although, you need to be nose close to the project to see the pattern change!
Close up of the outer edge of the wing

Each session that I worked on the butterfly, I would also look at the balance of the piece. Sometimes, I deleted a piece. More often, I either added a few pieces or I moved pieces to a different location.




Once I had completed the outer wing, I let it sit for a few days. Each day, I'd place different fabrics in the outer part of the wing. Nothing made me want to change from the black geometric print fabric. I decided I'd leave it as it was!

I took some time to glue baste the pieces in place. I added some of the lime green swimsuit fabric to the upper wing. That was a good add as there is a better balance of overall sparkle in the butterfly.  I haven't glue basted those pieces yet.
View at the end of the seventh week

A couple days later, I trimmed the outer edges of the butterfly. I was surprised at how much the trimming improved the look of the piece!

I'm pondering collaging additional shapes as well as some letters in the background. I've thought about shading the background. When I've placed blue fabrics next to the butterfly, the edge of the wing is lost because I don't have enough contrast. Lighter blue fabrics feel too light to me. Perhaps, I'll have a consult with JoJo and the granddaughters which will undoubtedly help me with the next steps! In the meantime, I can make more quilting progress on Unity. 
Progress at the end of the eighth week

Regarding Covid:
Worldwide: 21.5M confirmed; 13.5M recovered; 772K deaths
U.S.: 5.44M confirmed; 2.74M recovered; 171K deaths
Oregon: 22,613 confirmed; 385 deaths

The hospital where I work, now has thermal imaging cameras that take entrants' temperatures as they walk through the door. This makes getting in much faster. At certain times of the day, there could have been a line. Staff working within six feet of patients and visitors are also required to wear an eye shield. 

Both quilt guilds that I am a member of continue to have meetings using Zoom. Both guilds' membership numbers have decreased dramatically.  I imagine technology and lack of personal social contact are contributing factors.

Yesterday, my niece was married at a brand new outdoor venue in Central Oregon. She and her groom planned for 200 guests. I'm sure it was a wonderful event and that she was a beautiful bride; but, Covid kept me and my family from attending. 

Regarding the protests:
The violence continues every night. We are now in the eleventh week. A couple nights ago, the media reported that the protesting turned into a riot. It was reported that police had to use tear gas as well as other methods to control the situation. Some arrests were made; but, arrests don't seem to be a deterrent.  In Chicago, protestors systematically looted upscale clothing and electronic stores. Seattle is another city that has had prolonged unrest as well.

2 comments:

Mereknits said...

Your butterfly is amazing. It is just stunning. Well done. I am sorry you missed the wedding. I missed my neighbor's daughters bridal shower last night. I am out there working so did not want to bring anything to their home, as careful as I am I would be so mortified if someone got ill. Stay safe.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Mereknits, I don't want to be part of the problem or contribute to the problem either. I too would be mortified if someone became ill because I unknowingly shared an illness. Being careful seems to be what is "right" to do. Thank you for your kind comment regarding this project!