Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Third Quarter Goals 2020

Photos like this will be seldom used
I've been at this plan of finishing projects for the last ten years. For the first five of those years, I also started projects as soon as one struck a chord with me. Because there were so many projects, I didn't make much progress when it came to finishing! Once I realized I had few finishes for all my starts, I made a list of Works In Process that I wanted to finish in a year. I tried working with that list for a couple of years; but, I didn't use it like I had envisioned. More importantly, the number of finishes that I had envisioned didn't materialize. 

Some people, list ALL of their started projects, their projects that they have purchased the fabrics and their projects that they want to make. This is not me. I don't want to "own" how many projects are actually in my studio. As to what I want to make, my brain is always thinking about the next project!

Before I started this blog, I wrote a blog through "The Quilt Show" website. The blog was a way to document what I was doing. I enjoyed every "finish" post I wrote! At this stage, I still started a lot of projects. Unfortunately, when the website was updated, I lost access to those posts. It took me a few years to start this blog!

"Frolic" will be off the list this quarter
While reading another person's blog, I learned about the Finish-A-Long project which has been around since 2012. In 2018, I joined the group. What I liked about it was that you listed your intentions and that there weren't penalties if you didn't finish what was on your list. I made progress and was side tracked (in a good way) seeing other people's projects. For 2020, the group now posts their lists and finishes on Instagram. With two quarters behind me, I will admit, I liked posting finishes to a link up rather than using Instagram. I stumbled upon new to me projects and blogs. I don't look as often or as in depth at the Instagram posts.

With the FAL, each quarter, I would have a huge list of projects. Every quarter, I would finish way less than what I thought that I could finish. I started using my bullet journal as a way to help me set interim goals which helped. Still, my finishes were few! 

This quarter, I looked at my list. I again noted that I've several projects that have been on my list for years. So far, my projects continue to be ones that I want to complete. Should I encounter a project that has completed its lifecycle with me, I have no problem dispensing it to the donate pile or tossing it. I also realized that is hard to make progress when you don't work on a project during the quarter. 

"Good Fortune" is off the list for now too
My purpose in participating in FAL is to finish projects that I've started. I also want to use stash and reduce my fabric inventory. I've found it helpful to vary my projects. To be more successful with finishes and stash reduction, I'm changing my list. 

Projects that are months away from the quilt stage will mostly be removed the list. I do plan to continue piecing and working on those projects so those projects don't end up being UFOs. (UnFinished Objects) I plan to keep Good Fortune and Frolic, to name two projects, out where I see them every day to remind me, I've more work to do!

I'll list some clothing sewing projects. I will even list a cross stitch project because I have a whole bunch of cross stitch kits from Martha's stash. I don't know that I ever saw her work on a cross stitch project. I wonder if she gave these little kits away as gifts. I wonder if she was drawn to the kits because they were small and she thought the project could be finished fairly quickly. She was all about fast!

This quarter, I am planning to make another bunch of masks. I'm using a different pattern that incorporates elastic because I've found the fabric ties to be a little challenging to easily get on and off when we have our social distancing dinners with our daughter and family. 

#1-#4. Flannel scraps tops started from Martha's scraps
I've already made four masks. My plan is to make a couple as I'm piecing using the leader/ender style of sewing. I'll choose the fabric when I'm ready to make each mask. This project won't be on my list because I'm not planning the fabrics and because I'm not planning to stitch all the masks as one project.

This quarter, I'm grouping my projects together. Last quarter, I shot a group photo of a number of my projects. I was surprised at how much space the unfinished projects occupied. Last quarter, I listed 27 projects. I finished 11 projects. I had 12 total finishes. That means, I averaged one finish a week for three months. 

With my new plan in mind, I'm listing 16 projects. Projects one through four, are flannel tops that I made from Martha's leftover "adult" scraps. (I haven't started tops with her leftover "kid" flannel scraps!) I stopped because I ran out of fabric to get the tops to the desired 40 inch x 60 inch size. In a couple weeks,
#5-#12 projects
I'll be attending a sale of several quilters' fabric stashes. I hope that the fabrics available will coordinate with the vintage fabrics in these tops! I plan to develop my walking foot quilting skills when quilting the tops. 

Projects #5-#12 are listed below:
#5 is to finish quilting Unity. I'm nearing completion of quilting in the ditch! #6 is to stitch the hand dyed black fabric into a modern styled wall hanging with the red corduroy applique and other red accents. #7 is to make a summer dress for the youngest granddaughter. #8 is to stitch myself a dress. Last quarter, I planned to stitch a wrap dress. . .now, I'm not sure on the style.
#13-#16 projects
I'm thinking now about an empire waistline dress. I need to purchase a pattern! #9 is cross stitching six Santa ornaments. #10 is stitching the leftover tie fabrics from the tuffet project into a wall hanging. My plan is to machine piece the strings together into strip and to hand piece hexagon stars together out of the larger pieces. #11 is to stitch three camel back carry all bags. #12 is to stitch one and maybe two flounce leggings for the granddaughters.

Projects #13-#16 are below:
#13 is to quilt this top. It was one of the last tops my friend Martha made. I know of a high school graduate that would like it as a finished quilt. I need to make the back, baste and quilt it! #14 is that little piece of embroidery that I thought wanted to be a pillow. It wanted to be a wall hanging so it is at the quilting stage. #15 is Miss K's mermaid. I hope that we will be able to finish this project. Covid keeps us from working on it. #16 is the applique butterfly that I started September 2018 in a Susan Carlson class. 

Time will tell if this approach helps me find more success at finishing projects and reducing my stash!!!




4 comments:

BJ said...

It sounds like you have some fun projects to finish. Cheers.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, BJ. I hope that I have better results this quarter!!!

Luann Fischer said...

You’ll have another productive quarter I’m sure. You do so many other things beyond being in the sewing room. Keep up the journaling/documenting in what ever format works for you. Hope you’re able to get some time at the machine with the grandkids.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, I hope this subtle change in focus does relate to a more productive quarter! Fingers crossed! As for stitching and baking with the grandkids. . .I continue to hope for that precious time again. Thanks for dropping by!