Thursday, June 18, 2020

Burp Cloths--Tenth Finish 2nd Quarter FAL 2020

Flannel topstitched in place
When my oldest daughter was pregnant the first time, one of my friends had a daughter expecting twins at the same time. My friend made her daughter burp cloths with a purchased cloth diaper as the base. I thought that it was a great idea.

I bought a dozen cloth diapers and made six into burp cloths for my daughter. I used a fabric print that coordinated with the theme of her nursery. I put the rest of the diapers away.

Some time ago, I uncovered the diapers and put the project on the FAL list. It was time to get the project into a usable state! It sat on the list for some time; because I couldn't remember how I had made the cloths all those years ago. My oldest granddaughter turned eight years old last month so it had been awhile since I sewed the first ones!
Finished burp cloths

I decided I could use two fat quarters if I cut the fabrics seven inches wide by the length of the fabric which was about 18 inches. Steps in the process were:
1. Press under a quarter of an inch on all four sides of the rectangle. 
2. Pin the flannel in the center of the diaper. 
3. Topstitch around all four edges close to the edge of the flannel.
4. Use the walking foot to quilt a few channels in the flannel.

It didn't take long to finish the project. It was a welcome change from quilting the "Unity" quilt. I used half a yard of flannel in this project which brings my total of stash used this year to 46 3/4 yards. This is finish number ten this quarter and goal number eight on my FAL list. 
I have also posted this finish on Instagram #2020FALqal2finish

It is now waiting to be wrapped for a mother to be!


No comments: