Monday, December 31, 2018

Mesh Grocery Bag--Eighth Finish for 4th Quarter Finish A Long 2018

Pocket topstitching

Today is the last day of 2018. Gosh the year flew!! I looked through my project list for this quarter and determined that I could make one more finish . . .a mesh grocery bag. I've had the supplies for more than a year. I used half a yard of cotton fabric, half a yard of mesh fabric and three yards of webbing. The 8 1/2 x 11 inch two sided photo copy of directions for the bag included a diagram for cutting, placement and stitching.

Stitching the webbing
I found it difficult to stitch the fabric on top of the mesh. The fabric would stretch. If I could stitch with the fabric next to the feed dogs, I had less stretch. I switched to a dual feed foot and had even better results. I also found it difficult to understand the directions; but, in the end, I did complete a bag! For example, press pocket in half. . .does that mean hot dog or hamburger style??? It meant hamburger style!

The edge stitch foot was great for applying the webbing. I had no slippage issues as I stitched. For extra security, I stitched several times across the top of the webbing. Then it was time to stitch a French seam on the bag sides. The mesh was a bit unruly and difficult to fold on itself. Next time, I would stitch the first seam at a bit less than a quarter of an inch and the second seam a bit more than a quarter of an inch. For this bag, I stitched 1/4 of an inch as the directions stated. Instead of stitching again  at 1/4 of an inch, I stitched a 3/8 of an inch seam allowance to ensure concealing the raw edges from the first stitching.
Boxed corner ready for the zig zag

To make the box corners, I cut a two inch square out of the corners. Next, I pinned the layers in a diagonal which I zig zagged. My 790 Bernina, Joyie, stitched through all those layers without a hiccup. I turned the bag right side out. The box corners pushed out beautifully. The bag stands up nicely.

It is ready for gifting next year. (I already have a recipient in mind!!!) I used a yard of fabric which brings the total yardage I have used from my stash to 42 1/2 yards. I am seven and half yards short of meeting my goal of using 50 yards of fabric from my stash. No worries, I plan to stitch another 50 yards from stash next year plus this amount from this year. That means my total goal will be stitching 57 and one half yards out of my stash! I can do this!!!!!


This was goal number 19 on my 4th Quarter Finish A Long list. It is my eighth finish for the quarter.

This evening, I'll be ringing in the new year with my best friend and husband. . .although, we may have the year rung in via Australia time! Wishing all of you a safe and happy new year. May your dreams and wishes become a reality in 2019!



6 comments:

BJ said...

Lots of good information in making a mesh shopping bag! Have a wonderful New Year! Blessings.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, BJ. I shouldn't have been so concerned about stitching on that mesh with my machine. Next year, I will need to push myself to not worry so much about the what ifs before they happen!!!!

Diane-crewe said...

very best wishes to you and yours in 2019 x

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I wish you a special 2019, Diane!

Sew of Course said...

What a brilliant bag, I hope you get to use it a lot this year. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2018 hosts!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Sandra! I'm going to have to make another one as I gifted this one earlier this week!