Sunday, August 5, 2018

Hawaii--day 8-9

Miss J rocking Auntie's hat
We spent day 8 in Maui snorkeling at Black Rock Beach. I've learned it is easier to get in and out of the ocean when I put my fins on in the water. I snorkeled until Miss K was too cold and then we swam back to the shore. We didn't see any turtles, but we did see different varieties of fish. At one point, the fish were swimming all around us as we floated. The current the schools of fish created made my fins move which was an odd sensation!

After we snorkeled, we had a swim in the pool. The girls sure have improved their swimming skills!

Pineapple and assorted fruits for breakfast hasn't gotten old yet! We went to Ohana Tacos for lunch. In addition to delicious shrimp and fish tacos, the business is family owned and operated. Then we went on a shopping mission for me; but, I didn't find what I was hoping to buy. James drove us. I wanted to buy an embroidery kit for the girls; but, I wasn't successful.

Pool swimming
We did find a shave ice which everyone enjoyed on a hot day. Then it was back to the condo. I took a nap which felt great.

Bob and Nicole walked down to the ocean from where we are staying and saw a number of turtles. The approach is too rocky for me They made plans to snorkel there later; but, then saw a sign that that section of the beach was private.

Dinner was salad with refrigerator leftovers. Nicole purchased some lobster salad at the fish market and a round loaf of sourdough bread.

I'm generally not excited about lobster; but, that salad was delicious. (If I ever get to Maine, I might change my mind about lobster!) Bob hollowed the bread, stuffed it with brie and baked it until the cheese melted. That was a great addition to dinner!

Shave ice is a great way to cool off on a hot humid day
On day 9, We got up early and went to Napili Beach to snorkel. We arrived just in time to snag one of the last of the public parking spaces. This was a nice place to snorkel as it a little bay that it five to eight feet of water in a lot of places so it is easy to get around. James and Amanda saw octopi; Nicole saw an eel and we all saw lots of different types of fish. It was cool to see schools of the different varieties swimming near each other.

On the way back, we dropped off our snorkel gear. We also stopped for a coffee at the shop in the Napili Marketplace. James determined that this was the best coffee spot in the area. He taste tested a number of spots!
We finished the first "Rabbits of London" book

Once back at the condo, we spent some time in the pool. The girls' swimming skills are improving. Miss J can roll easily from her front to her back and Miss K is figuring out elementary backstroke and rotary breathing.

We had a huge salad for dinner and Bob barbecued chicken thighs that tasted a lot like the chicken that we had at the luau.  He even grilled some zucchini. Nicole added a bottle of wine that Jérôme had picked. Wow, it was a delicious meal.

Good bye to this view
The girls and I finished reading the first "Royal Rabbits of London" book. It was a chapter book and we read a few chapters of the book each day. We might get started on the second book tomorrow.

We played another round of pinochle. The first night, Bob and Amanda were the winners. This night, Nicole and I were the winners.

Tomorrow, we will have an early swim in the pool and then we will pack up as check out is at 11am. I've really enjoyed staying at Polynesian Shores and would recommend it to anyone coming to this part of Maui.




4 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

What a fantastic way to enjoy family. ❤️❤️❤️

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, every five years the whole family has taken a trip together. I have enjoyed each one and think the last one was definitely the best! I so enjoyed hanging out at the condo, swimming in the pool and snorkeling. The view was amazing!

Nicole Knott said...

Every 4 years ;) OGA - Operation Get Away 3.0! Great trip and long enough to really spend time with each other and especially the girls. xoxo

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Four??? I sure thought it was five!!! It was so fun to snorkel and swim in the pool. I'll have wonderful memories of this trip forever!