Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Bullet Journaling--An August Start

Cover of my bullet journal
Keeping a calendar, detailing notes in a planner, journaling activities and making to do lists have been part of my daily task list for many years. For about 15 years, I worked four different part time jobs, picked up/dropped off the daughters to swim lessons, dance lessons and play dates. An accurate calendar was a must!

When I worked a full time job plus two part time jobs and balanced attending the swim meets and water polo matches, I was introduced to a planner system. I found many techniques in a planner helpful and it was easy to transition because I was already documenting much of my life in my calendar system. I have tried a digital planner/calendar; however, I prefer a paper system!

A key to the various marks
Dedicated journaling began four years ago when six of us got together and tackled the lessons in an Artist's Way by Julia Cameron together. I found the morning pages a great help to identify what was blocking my creativity as well as how to expand my skill sets. The time we spent together was
invaluable. I doubt that I would have gained as much insight through the process had I taken the journey on my own.

Last August, I stopped journaling. When I found that I didn't miss it, I didn't pick it up again. My blog posts, joining the 2018 Finish-A-Long, my calendar and my planner provided me the formats to continue to explore, develop and hone my various skills.
View of the index

Last April, I saw a posting on FaceBook about a sketchbook revival that was a free online workshop intended to start, maintain and grow sketchbook practice. I want to develop my drawing skills so I took it. I loved the course. I tried different techniques. Some techniques were beyond my skill level; but, I picked up little "nuggets" of information from each presenter. I didn't stick with the practice.

I follow Barbara Black who blogs at My Joyful Journey. In July, she posted her top three tips to time management and shared her journal. I found some overlap of what she does and what I was doing. Then a member of "The Quilt Show" (TQS) brought up bullet journaling and mentioned she was trying to find a better way to organize aspects of her life. She shared a link to a video at bulletjournal.com. She also shared BoHo Berry's youtube video about her setting up her bullet journal. While I enjoyed the video, I thought, too much work!
Daily log page

A few days passed; I googled BoHo Berry and found her blog. I went down the rabbit hole and researched bullet journals. I looked at several bullet journal set ups. I rewatched BoHo Berry's youtube video and I watched several more! Then, I decided to try it for four months. I had a lined small book on hand. I began my new journey at the beginning of the month and I spent nothing!

Why I took the leap is because I could see the value in having my quilting ideas in the same "container" as my to do lists.  I LOVED the index as I would lose where I wrote some of the same information in my planner. Before my planner days, my calendar was a small book. Using this system, I can go back to a less complicated calendar which will be cheaper in addition to taking up less space! The journal and the calendar will be less than I spend on the planner. Eventually, I'll doodle/sketch in the journal. The paper in this journal is too thin for paint; but, pencil and/or ink sketches will work fine. I can get out my color pencils for playtime too! This system will provide me more flexibility than I have had. It will truly be my own!

Monthly goal page
I'll share a few photos of my first journal. It is truly a Work In Process. (WIP) I plan to adapt it as I go and to keep it simple so it is easy to use.

Before the bullet journal, my to do lists were longer. I realized I have a number of tasks that I do daily. I started a Habit Tracker page for the month. The space I have saved writing walk with the dog and quilt is small; but, adds up over time. Also, sometimes, I'd miss the bigger chunks of my day because I'd be focusing on the exercise. Now, my habit tracker is like background music--there; but, not the focus of the day. I like the streamlining the habit tracker provides and I will be tracking other activities in the future.

My daily task list has shrunk. Even better--I'm getting what is on the list completed. I do plan to add an envelope to the front and back cover as there might be bits I want to save. I do carry the journal around with me so I can refer to my monthly goals or add entries. At the beginning of the day, I review my list and at the end of the day, I add the appropriate mark to the list entry. I also plan for the next day.

I am thinking about adding a week at a glance page. My first month has gone well. I completed all but three of my monthly goals. Of the three I didn't complete, I made good progress on two of the three! I've even started to doodle on the pages. My journal is beginning to evolve! I'm glad I tried the bullet journal!

Since this is my last post for the month, I need to tally of the participants that I taught this month:
34 Basic Life Support CPR (240 YTD); 12 Babysitter's Training (22 YTD) This is a total of 46 for August (total 370 YTD).




4 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

I also started using many of the ideas I found while tumbling down the 'rabbit hole'. The index is the most helpful at the moment. I’m not sure how I will transition into a new 'journal' when this one is filled. Especially my 'on-going' list which I add to when I start a new project. But, maybe,,,, I won’t start so many new ones until more of the older ones are completed. 🤔 And with September only a few days away, I’m putting some time into getting things ready for another month of adventures! All the best to you and the family. Another great post!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, I'm not sure about the transition to a new journal either. I'll figure that out when I get to that point! I too have been thinking about September and what I want to achieve in the next 30 days. Every day is an adventure though!

She Quilts It said...

Terry - I'm so glad that you are still finding inspiration from the Artist's Way. When I think of what the people in the group have evolved into, I think everyone benefited from the sessions.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Joanne, I agree! It was a terrific experience on so many, many levels!!