Sunday, June 17, 2018

Paris to London day 15 of the London Adventure 2018


Jérôme's favorite church
It was early when we left Tavaux to board the train in Dole to Dijjon. I was surprised that there weren't more people on the train; but, then I remembered the Monday after Easter was a holiday for everyone. We had a half hour wait in Dijjon and then we were on our way to Paris. Jérôme had packed us some of Moniqué's bell cake from the previous day, a MacGonthier, our cheese and a bottle of water. His MacGonthier (baguette with lettuce and cheese) was good! I'm sure it was healthier than McDonald's breakfast sandwich!

When we arrived in Paris, it was about 9:30AM. We met Joy for coffee. Nicole asked me if I needed any more canned fish soup or any other French products; but, my suitcase was getting as heavy as it was when I arrived so I passed on purchasing more! Plus we were carrying our luggage as we perused the streets so I was more mindful of my acquisitions! Truth be told, Nicole did most of the carrying of the heavy bag! (Thank you Nicole!!!!)

The toy sailboats sailing in Luxembourg garden
We walked to see Jérôme's favorite church and then we walked through our favorite garden, Luxembourg garden. My favorite parts of the garden to visit are:
--a smaller replica Statue of Liberty stands in the park that acknowledges the sculpture who designed it as well as a remembrance of the tragedy of September 11th in the New York City.
--The Medici Fountain fountain. It was constructed at the request of Marie de' Medici around 1630 and Napoleon had it updated almost 200 years later!
--Walking around the outer path of the garden. You get to view the expanse of the plantings and colors of the garden.
--Sitting near the center of the garden, watching the kids sail boats that they rented.

Across the street from the garden is Dalloyau which is a pastry/deli shop. We had coffee and a pastry.  I couldn't resist. . .I also had a pistachio macaroon! Then, we made our way back to the train station. Nicole navigates Paris and the transportation system like she is a native!

Desserts at Dalloyau
The train from Paris to London was packed. I finished one of the books I had brought with me and we had lunch on the train. Nicole booked us in first class and we had salmon, quinoa, bread, wine, a chocolate cake and coffee!

Once in London, we took the tube which stopped about a 20 minute walk back to her place. On our walk, we stepped into to a grocery store for a few items for dinner, since were were both a little hungry. Once at her place, we made a green salad with boiled eggs which hit the spot. I slept well that night!

No comments: