Wednesday, June 20, 2018

London Museum and British Museum--Day 16 through 18 of the London Adventure 2018

Roman wall remains viewed from the London Museum
For Day 16 of my London Adventure, I had a leisurely start to the day. I took some time to answer e-mails and to repack my bag. I did a quick weigh of it and found I needed to remove a couple items. I don't plan to remove items at the airport like I did on the way to London!

Kale smoothie and peanut butter/jam blondie
Then I walked to the Museum of London. It took me about 45 minutes. The walk was great and I was never "off course!" On the way back, I took a slightly different route and walked along the Thames. Again, I wasn't "off course!" I like to walk to the various spots that I want to visit because if I happen by a site that looks interesting, I'll stop and look.

At the museum, I liked that staff greeted me at the door and gave me a personal "lay of the land" talk. I also appreciated that the person who helped me was able to tell me where the Roman Wall was located so I didn't miss seeing it!

There were a lot of families visiting the museum. I loved that there were a lot of hands on stations throughout the exhibits and that staff manned activity stations throughout the exhibit. I was looking closely at a chain mail shirt exhibit. I didn't notice the staff member holding the head piece and when I did, she asked if I wanted to hold it. Of course I wanted to hold it, so I did! It was heavier than I had anticipated! I appreciated the opportunity to feel a replica!

I also enjoyed seeing a shoe and pottery exhibit. The displays were in the floor! I could put my foot right next to a shoe and see the difference! After I left the museum, I walked back to my daughter's flat. On the way, I stopped for a smoothie and a treat at The Watch House.
Bridge on my walk to the British Museum




















The kale/banana/mango and apple juice smoothie was delicious! The peanut butter and raspberry jam blondie was darn tasty too! For dinner, Nicole cooked a piece of salmon while I turned Jérôme's quinoa side dish into a salad. I added lemon juice, oil, some onions and it was the perfect accompaniment to the salmon. I walked 4.7 miles.

For Day 17 of my London Adventure, I had another leisurely start to the day. I needed to check in for my flight so I didn't leave internet range until I had done that! It is hard to believe that this is my last full day here! The time has flown!
A partial view of the interior of the museum

On this day, I visited the British Museum. My plan was to walk a few minutes and then take a bus to the museum. Well, I went the wrong direction from my daughter's and missed the bus stop. I ended up walking to the museum. Although I wasn't on my planned route, I never was "lost." I just walked in the general direction and arrived in a little more than one hour!

Egyptian exhibit artifacts
I was surprised to see so many people at the museum. There are at least a 100 galleries of exhibits so this is a place that you could spend the whole day! My favorite places were the Egyptian and the African galleries. I wasn't planning to go to the Egyptian gallery but the gallery I was in was so crowded that I just stepped next door. I liked seeing all the artifacts and I liked reading about the mummification process.

What I liked most about the African exhibit was how well rounded it was. I loved the hat exhibit. There was also a tree of life sculpture made out of guns that had been turned in during an exchange program. People exchanged a gun for a tool like a plow or a shovel. One village turned in their guns together and took home a tractor! Another group took the guns and turned them into art!

I did manage to locate a bus stop so I didn't walk back to Nicole's flat. She encouraged me to stop at another coffee shop called Fuckoffee. It isn't far from her house. She wanted me to order a smoothie with bananas and peanut butter. The drink has an offensive name. I tried; but, I couldn't do it. The staff person said, "Oh, you want the MotherF****!" (See, I can't even write it!) The smoothie was delicious and the duck wrap I picked up to eat with it was good too. I didn't find the prices any more expensive than other places and I thought that the quality of the food was great.

Click the link above to find out the story behind the name or rather how the business fought to keep its name.

While I was enjoying the rest and the food, I had a new best friend. Dogs are allowed in eating
Coffee shop clientele
establishments and this dog was so mannerly! I know he could smell that duck and he hoped I would share a nibble. (I didn't.) His owner had treats for him and when another seat opened, the dog hung out on the bench next to his owner.  You can tell that the dog is so stressed out about hanging out in the coffee shop! (NOT!!!) I walked 7.5 miles.

Day 18, I headed for home so this is my last post about my trip. It was a great adventure and already I'm planning my next visit to London. Nicole booked an Uber for my route to the airport. This driver was great! He shared a lot about the city and the country. When I expressed my surprise at so many kids at the museums, he said they were on holiday the week after Easter!

A little breakfast while waiting to board
I had a Nero coffee and a hummus falafel while I was waiting to board. The trip home was uneventful. I flew from London to San Francisco and then on to Portland. I slept a few hours on the long leg of the flight and chatted a bit with a Londoner who was joining his wife in Hawaii for several weeks.

Good bye England
It took my knees about three weeks to return to a somewhat normal state.

I did have an appointment with my primary care physician. I had an X-Ray and and an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon I visited said I wasn't a candidate for a knee replacement because my knee joint wasn't bone on bone yet. His advice to me was to get a a cortisone shot before my next trip, to loose weight (I'd already lost nine pounds) and to join a water aerobics class. (Twice a week, I swim.) He didn't have any suggestions about how to be able to go on my daily walks or what to do for all the swelling every time I walk.

I made an appointment with a naturopathic doctor and after about a month of mostly following a diet and treatment plan, I'm feeling better. My knees are no longer warm enough to act as personal heating devices. Although they still swell and they are still painful with use, the swelling and the pain is much less. I have hope that I'll be able to get back to neighborhood walks sooner rather than later.

No comments: