|Threads ready to tie|
|Dark thread example|
|Light thread example|
Outlining with the same thread that I'll use in the background will make the prominence on the word and not on the quilting.
|Two of three lines stitched|
After stitching several different styles of lettering, I was happy that I went with the lighter thread. I've inserted a photo so that you can see how stitching around the letters provides better definition for the eye.
That stitching also took up some of that fullness that I've been working to "quilt out," which was an unexpected plus. I didn't realize how much the fabric will draw up even with a few lines of printing!
Perhaps, you can see this effect in the photo above.
I've stitched around the bricks in the background fabrics in one of the borders. I hadn't planned to do this sort of detail; but, I'm glad that I went to the extra effort because the effect makes the rooster more prominent in the foreground. I hope that the photo will give you an idea of what I'm describing. Before you ask, yes, I created "tons" of threads to tie, bury and clip! Evenings, I've spent cleaning up the surface of the quilt so that the following day, I can do it all again!
Next, I'm stitching around the appliqués in the center of the quilt. I'm making progress. It is just slow. I'm still thinking about how to quilt the background of this quilt. I'd like to use different filler stitches for at least two reasons. First, different filler stitches will create different texture and that will give the eye something else to view and two only stitching one type of filler over and over and over. . .well, that is tough for me. Variety keeps my brain better engaged!
I still have some puffiness to contend with as I quilt. My fingers are still crossed that I will be able to quilt out the fullness and have a flat quilt at the end!