Sunday, February 26, 2017

An Update on the Chicken

The chicken in a top.
In December, I worked a number of hours appliquéing a stem and leaves on the chicken project. I felt good, so I just kept stitching. . .well it was about three weeks before I could really hold a needle again because I didn't take breaks and didn't break my stitching into sessions!

In January, the push was to finish Winter Ice and this month my plan was to return to that chicken project. . . again! (I've been down that "again" road many times since I began this project in 2007!) I've posted the same in progress photo for the last two years!

I keep telling myself this is the year that I am finishing this one! I also tell myself that I will make more progress if I actually stitch on it!

I have learned that if I have a section that is thread basted and ready to go; I'll get it stitched. If I have to figure out what is going where and remember which places to leave open so that other pieces can be added later. . .well, it's too complicated and I don't do it.
Detail of center panel

So this week, I pulled out the project, the pattern sheets and mapped out a section. It took some time. I found one of the leaves that I had cut, really didn't show against the background so I replaced it with a fabric that did.

In my prepared stitching section our sweet Bailey dog, chewed one of the flowers. I was able to reclaim it although, the edges are suspect. Let's see if I can coax those edges to turn!

Now, all that is left is to stitch it! The project is next to my chair and stitching it is my plan for the evenings. Nancy Chong talks about stitching one length of thread each day. Sometimes, you might stitch more than one length of thread; but, even with one length of thread, you will be making noticeable progress. So this is my plan.



The next section ready for stitching
Perhaps, there are 10-12 sections like this left to appliqué and a pieced border for the outer edge to stitch before it is a top.  I am on the downhill side of the project!

I'll use this space to post my progress because sharing with you will help me stay the course rather than diverting that chicken to a container where I would forget about it. I started this project long ago so the urgency of finishing it has long passed. My family teases me about the mummified chickens, petrified chickens and roosting chickens which I take with a good heart. I tell myself that the finish will be so sweet!

20 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

it is coming to-gether nicely .. despite the "help" along the way xx

Luann Fischer said...

I love your appliqué. It's hard to stop once you get started but, if you don't you pay the price. That might even be why you tend to not work on it. My advice (you may as well use it because I don't) is to take your threads away from where you stitch. Keep only 2 or 3 lengths by your chair. That way you have to get up to get more thread and you can stretch legs and hands before resuming your work. This is going to be a beautiful piece.

Janice Smith said...

What a fun project! I love the idea of stitching one length of thread a day. What a good way to keep motivated and to make slow and steady progress. :-). Cluck . . . Cluck . . .

Unknown said...

Tenacity should he the name of this quilt. Nice description of how to make progress.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks! That helper has also destroyed three pincushions. . .surfed them right off the ironing center! She is a little more "mature" now; but, still will help herself to something I've been touching from time to time!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Great idea, Luann. I'll try that this evening!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Cluck, cluck is right! You nailed it!! Slow and steady progress is good!!! :) Cluck. . .Cluck. . .made me giggle!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

It could be. . .I'll just settle for it being finished :)

Nancy said...

It's a beautiful quilt and you are making good progress! It's always good to get further along, and once you see the light at the end of the tunnel it's a lot easier to continue working on it. I think I see that light peeking through!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

So true, Nancy! Right now that light is just pin dot size; but, I can see it!!!!

Nicole Knott said...

Those chickens have been around for awhile - you will indeed oddly enough make progress if you stitch on it!

Nicole Knott said...

brrrrr

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Such wise words dear daughter! Now why did it take me so many years to come to the same conclusion? Don't answer that!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

You make me smile!

Monica said...

I know that overdoing it lark all too well, I'm afraid. The same thing has happened to me with the binding on my Cardinals quilt. One thread a day! Let's both try that. :D

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Monica, overdoing it can happen so easily. That part is true! Maybe that was partly why I would stay away from the project. Steady is my plan along with an equal measure of gentleness as I don't want to undo any part of my physical progress! :)

BJ said...

Oh that's gorgeous! I love it. Great progress.

Anonymous said...

Terry - Love your "Chicken in a top"! Beautiful work for sure.

Barb :-)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

BJ, thanks! It is amazing how much progress happens when I actually work on it! :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Barb, my appliqué has matured from beyond horrible to not too bad and pretty good! It is like my sampler of improvement! :)