The fabric requirements were fat quarters. . .light and dark. I didn't realize just how many purple fat quarters I had. I also used some purple yardage to have enough variety. I bought six green fat quarters. So my fabric investment for the project mostly came from my stash! I was excited to be using what I had been petting!!!
What I liked most about the mystery was when we received the last clue, there were lots of different ways to set the blocks. In fact, I liked all the ways that I tried. (At some point, I might make this pattern again just so I can make a different layout!) In the end, I went with the layout on the left.
I pieced the back with the bits that were left over. In the end, it almost became a quilt on its own; but, I decided the last thing that I needed was another project! I like pieced backs anyway.
I had planned to use the floral fabric fabric as a border; but it didn't work with the quilt.
Then, I got stuck with the quilting. . .Usually, the quilting just flows because I have been thinking about it since I chose the fabric! Perhaps, because this was a mystery the quilting was going to be a mystery too! In March of 2015, I layered it and quilted it in the ditch. While I quilted, I hoped to figure out the next step. Unfortunately, it didn't speak to me until June!!
I quilted part of it this way:
I quilted the diamonds with feathers
using Superior Fantastico thread:
Used the continuous curve to quilt
the stars. The purple thread is Floriani.
I label my quilts. The number is the month/year/number
of quilts I have finished in that year.
And, I make a pillow case to store the quilt when it isn't in use. I try to use some of the same fabrics in it. One, it uses some of the left overs and it is easy to find when I want it!
This is the finished back: This is the finished front.
Finished is WONDERFUL! In my next blog, I'll share what I do after a project is finished as well as what I tried; what worked and what didn't.