Friday, December 4, 2015

Fear--Back to a Words Project!

Last summer, I thought that in a couple days I would be able to embroider words on sashings and a border for a simple wall hanging. Knowing that I generally under estimate time on a project, I gave myself a week. I blogged about it here, here and here


In the end, I finished. It took me lots longer than I had planned! At the finish moment, I felt confident that I could repeat the process. Then as time passed, doubt and fear began to creep into my thoughts. Could I do "it" again?

"It" being successful at embroidering the words and not spending a couple months with the process. I do want to be proficient embroidering words. There are projects that I envision words adding more dimension. 







Remember those six Christmas package blocks that I won? 


Well, it was time to work on the second set of three! Of course, in the beginning, I had planned to use the same words. Circumstances changed. I needed some different words. 














It was back to the design stage. Would I remember the steps? I had taken notes. I decided to use some of the same words. I spent time deciding on what the new words would be. The project started to feel like it was getting too complicated. I waited a day or two, thinking about ways to simplify what I was doing.




December 1, I had an idea. I turned the idea into text and then into embroidery. December 3, I began to embroider. 














It's December 4th and I've one border left to embroider. I still have some adjustments to make. Sans border, this is what it looks like now. It has been a faster process. Now I'm asking myself, why was I letting fear hold me back??? Answer: Because I didn't want to fail! Well, I haven't failed! Wahoo! :)

Now a question for you, dear readers! Have you let fear hold you back? Please, tell me in the comments. 

14 comments:

Deborah said...

A very beautiful wallhanging. Fear always holds me back when it comes to quilting my quilt tops. I don't want to wreck them.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Debbie, I hear you about the quilting! Why is it that we can't grow our quilting skills at the same rate so that fear can't hold us back? Thanks for your thoughts!--Terry

Anonymous said...

You've cracked it Terry. Looks great
Wendy

Diane-crewe said...

well done it is coming along really well x FEAR is usefull at times .. but not if it stops us having FUN and finding a technique we love .. so well done for taking the step and having a go xx

Luann Fischer said...

Terry,
Fear of messing something up and giving myself more work (picking out stitches) holds my creative side captive at times. Then I try to encourage myself to just do the best for the moment and let things be. Soon, very soon, I will start quilting up my Batik Stars quilt.
A box has left Summerville, SC heading for the west coast! Let me know when you get it. Maybe you can post a picture of it on your pretty little head?

Monica said...

I think that "doubt" is a more accurate word for me, when things slow down! But, it almost always turns out to be good that I waited, because a better idea or method usually comes along. Or, just more practice!

Practice has worked well for you, Terry! Your banner is going to be très belle. :D

BJ said...

Wonderful projects. I understand the fear...there are so many things that could go wrong, but in time, you learn all the things that help. I have a notebook with things I learn...like what stabilizer and how much for what fabric...what thread..what settings on my machine for thread and fabric combinations, etc. Things still go wrong sometimes though. But less and less and I'm faster now than I used to be. Susan Steward says she spends almost more time hooping her projects than embroidering them.
Well done!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Oh, Wendy! I have cracked up! Wait until, the next blog!! --Terry

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Diane, so true that fear can be useful. FUN is the most important part of the process!!! Thank you for the reminder! --Terry

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, definitely we don't want to make more work for ourselves! You are wise to let things be as sometimes, they don't need any more "fussing!" Oooooo, I'm EXCITED and of course, I'll be posting a photo!!!--Terry

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Monica, doubt is a good word too! True about waiting although I tend to wait too long! Merci!--Terry

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

BJ--Stabilizer is key with embroidery. I'm still feeling my way with the needles. Sometimes, I get great results and other times. . .just so/so. I'm keeping notes; but, haven't found the "key" yet! I don't hoop my fabric; but, I do spend a lot of time ensuring the design is going to stitch where I want it! Thank you!!!! --Terry

Bill Volckening said...

Tres bien! :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Merci beaucoup!, Bill!--Terry