Goal number two on my October list was to document my rug weaving process. Last April, I took an online course from Ilka White, a fiber artist from Australia. I posted about my experience. Since then, I've worked on growing this project!
 |
| Torn strips ready for weaving |
I start with 10 strips of the navy sheet and the light blue flannel sheets. Sometimes, if I'm close to the end of the sheet, I'll rip the remaining bit.
 |
| About to add three flannel strips |
As the strips become too short to act as the weaver, I'll add another strip. Ilka recommends keeping the strips about 18 inches. I decided not to cut the strips into those lengths. First, it meant less times to add a strip and second, less strips mean less knots. The longer length didn't bother me with the weaving.
 |
| Weaving one pass |
It is't difficult to weave this design. the weaver and the strips are the same color. It is an over and under process row after row!
 |
| Inserting the crochet hook |
When I reach the end of the strips, I insert a crochet hook into a nearby finished loop.
 |
Positioning the crochet hook to pull the tail through the loop |
I pull the tail of the weaver through that loop.
 |
| Beginning to pull the tail through the loop |
Usually, the loop I'm using will be the same fabric.
 |
| The strip almost pulled through the loop |
I do try to fold the edges of the strip so the right side of the fabric is out.
Once the strip has been pulled through the loop, I go back to adjust the tension in each of the strips. This process takes a little time too; but, the result is worth the effort.
 |
| Detailed view of the strips |
At the end of September, my rug measured 31 inches in diameter. I have torn all the bottom sheet and have started tearing the top sheet. I am past the half way point of this project!
 |
| 31 inches of woven rug |
My husband asked if I knew how to finish this project. I said that although Ilka had told us how to decrease the strips and had included the directions in her class handout, the answer was no! The class was too long ago to remember what she said so I hope that when I get to that point, I'll be able to achieve the finish!
 |
| 34 inches of woven rug |
I've been working on the project during the times when I am working on my sitting ability. (I had knee revision surgery the middle of September and I'm not ready to be seated in front of a sewing machine yet!) I was surprised to measure the rug before snapping the latest photo to find it is about 34 inches in diameter. Now that the rounds are larger, it takes longer to gain those inches! Note that it is almost as wide as my kitchen table!
This isn't slow stitching; but, I'm hoping Kathy at Slow Stitching won't mind me linking up! I'm also linking to Finished or Not Friday and Patchwork and Quilting.
7 comments:
Wow, Terry--beautiful work on your rug weaving!!:)))
Hugs, Julierose
(P.S. FYI: I cannot answer your comment on my gmail??? You are a "no-reply" according to my site..just so you know I am not ignoring you....)
It is so exciting to see your progress on the rug, Terry! It is looking amazing and I love the design as it spirals. It is certainly growing. Have you decided how large it will be? You are doing a fantastic job. Have a blessed day. Hugs.
I would say that is definitely a type of slow stitching, and such a fascinating process, Terry! Your rug is just beautiful, and getting to be a pretty good size, too. Do you have a goal for the size? I'm glad that working on this can be part of your knee therapy. Hope it is helping!
I am loving your rug! It’s amazing you’ve gotten to 34” in diameter and you’ve only used the bottom sheet.
That was fun to learn a bit of how you are doing the rug. It may not be slow 'stitching', but I think you might have the 'slow' part of it:0
That is a very interesting process, Terry. The rug is going to be beautiful when you finish it. I'm sure you will be able to figure it out.
Your rug is glorious! Other than the crochet hook, do you use any "tools" in the weaving?
Post a Comment