Sunday, February 23, 2020

Traveling in January--Post 3

Tree depository
Day 11, I spent with my feet up resting. The tumble I took in Brussels a couple days earlier was still bothering my knee. So I stayed inside, iced my knee, read and rested. We played cards and made spicy roasted nuts. The nuts were delicious. I plan to make a batch now that I am home.

Bob and Nicole made a trip to a friend of Nicole's place to remove her Christmas tree. In the area where Nicole lives, when it is time to remove the Christmas tree, people deposit their tree along the sidewalk. There isn't an organized tree collection/recycling area like there is in the States.

We saw areas where there were six to seven trees waiting for removal. As the city garbage crews came through an area, we saw workers collecting these trees. I started writing this post on January 6. On this day, workers began dismantling the holiday decorations. I enjoyed seeing all the lights, trees and holiday spirit each city displayed.

Poached eggs at the Watch House
Viewing a portrait of the Queen at the Savoy
On a previous visit, I enjoyed a breakfast at the Watch House. I wanted Bob to experience a breakfast there too. The location changed since I had eaten there. The coffee shop is in a larger venue. On Day 12, we went mid morning and had brunch.

There were plenty of tables available; but, it was loud. It was so loud that it was difficult for Bob and I to have a conversation. The poached eggs, however, were just as perfect as I remembered!

That afternoon, I pulled out my "dress up" clothes and got ready for afternoon tea at the Savoy. Nicole ordered an uber so that she could work a full day before our tea time reservation. We arrived about 15 minutes early and learned you aren't seated until the time of your reservation.

We wandered about the lobby while we waited. I viewed a portrait of the queen which was unveiled in 2017. Thomas Ward painted it for the Red Cross which was honoring the queen for 60 years of patronage.

Fresh flower arrangement in the washroom
I had to snap a photo of the orchid in the washroom. The patterns and colors of the flower petals were so beautiful. I had to touch it to see that it was an actual cut flower!

Gazebo in the tea room where a pianist played
The Thomas Thayer tea room was gorgeous and the food was beautifully prepared. My favorite of the finger sandwiches was the curried chicken. I loved the scones with the clotted cream and jam!

I ordered the savory tea which came with a quail breast layered on top of mushrooms with a savory broth poured over the breast. It was delicious.
Quail breast course


Nicole ordered the sweet tea which came with more desserts. We sampled all the offerings. The setting was wonderful. It wasn't the best fancy tea I've experienced; but, it wasn't awful either. When we had finished, we decided we would walk the almost three miles to her flat to work off a few of the calories that we had eaten.
Enjoying high tea

On the way, we stopped by a temporary ice rink and watched people skating. They were having a good time.

Later, we decided the next time I am in the UK, we will have tea at another special spot and continue to work our way through the various tea venues to determine which is our favorite. We previously experienced high tea at The Goring.

On Day 13, Bob and I walked along the waterfront to Borough Market. I didn't want to purchase any items, I just wanted to see it again. We arrived too early as there were few customers. It was too early for lunch so we meandered a bit. On our return walk, we had planned to check out the brew shops in one area. Unfortunately, they were closed for the Christmas holiday so that is an activity we will need to do on another trip.

On Day 14, we flew home. For Christmas, Nicole upgraded us to business class so the flight home was terrific! If I had unlimited dollars, I would always travel business class! We were away from Oregon for two weeks. While we were glad to be home, we also missed spending time with Nicole. It was an amazing trip!
Finger sandwiches
Sweet items























No comments: