Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Traveling in December--Post 3

Old truck outside of flower market
Shrimp and scallop dinner
Smoothie at the coffee shop
On our fourth day of visiting Nicole, we slept in until we woke. After a scrambled egg, guacamole and toast breakfast that Nicole prepared, Nicole and I went to the Flower Market located on Columbia Road. Nicole said it was an off day because we were easily able to cruise through the various stalls of fresh cut, potted and dried plants.

The Flower Market was a site to behold! We also checked out the cute shops lining Columbia Road that were open! While we saw many tempting items, we brought nothing home. We did photograph an old truck that was parked outside of the market.

We took a gentle route home with a stop for a cup of coffee at the Ace Hotel. When we dropped in, we didn't realize the coffee shop was part of a restaurant and internet area off the lobby! Nicole said it was a spot that she would go again.
Shrimp and scallop dishes

After we warmed up, we walked through the Old Spitafields Market. This a shopping market full of shops with a vendor mall packed with various clothing items from knit hats to glamorous evening wear to stylish leather and wool outerwear. We ventured in to the Hotel Chocolate and purchased a box of chocolate trees. The chocolate was in so many creative forms!

For lunch we ate an artfully arranged tray of vegetables and an artfully arranged plate of Indian food leftovers. For dinner, Bob cooked shrimp, scallops and asparagus. He made two separate dishes and both were great.

We slept in again on the fifth day of our visit. We took a walk to purchase a coffee and a baguette for lunch. It was a beautiful bright sunny day. The first time I visited Nicole, she gave me a punch card for a free drink to this coffee shop, if I would order a particular drink which was a peanut butter banana smoothie. I tried; but, I'm not one to swear so the waitstaff said, "Oh, you want #%%##." This time, Nicole ordered it for me.
Viewing the lights from the London Eye

After lunch we walked to the London Eye. On the way, we stopped at the Tate Modern museum to view the city from the top floor viewing area. It was a nice view. Then we continued our walk to the Eye. Nicole had tickets for us to ride the Eye and see the city lights at night. We stood in line for about 45 minutes.

Proof I rode the Peloton bike
I was surprised that you board each pod while it is moving. You also deboard the same way! I did enjoy seeing the lights. I learned that four million people ride the London Eye each year.  I'm glad that we went as the view was spectacular. I understand that the ride closes early on New Years Eve because some fireworks are shot from the structure.

On day six, Nicole convinced me to ride her Peloton bike. She rides it regularly and likes being able to take a class when it best fits her ever changing work schedule. Bob also rode the bike and because he already is a bike rider, he liked it right away. I was concerned that it would hurt my knees. I tried a gentle beginner workout. Nicole fitted the seat to me and helped me put my shoes into the clips. That is a weird feeling to be "clipped in!" I survived the ride and it was fun. I can now understand why people would have a bike like that! She took a photo so there is actual proof that I rode! Bob helped me "clip out."
Decorative street lights 

The activity for the day was attending a musical called "Come Away." It is the story of a tiny town in Canada that housed the passengers that were stranded on flights during the aftermath of 9-11. It was an excellent show. We walked through Carnaby Street on our return and enjoyed the street light decorations. The amount of people in the streets was mind boggling. I did enjoy the street light displays and window shopping!

Nicole cooked a crustless quiche for dinner which was delicious. After dinner, some of us took a couple hour nap. We napped because day six was New Year's Eve. We got up about 11:45PM and walked to the waterfront to watch Londoners ring in the new year with fireworks. We enjoyed what we could see. When we got up the following morning at 4:30AM, we watched a few more spectacular displays from the comfort of our daughter's flat! You'll need to read the Traveling in January post 1 to find out why we got up so early!

No comments: