Sunday, November 11, 2018

Goals for November


Quilt the square in a square border
This month, my goal is to make more progress on the list that I gave myself in October. It was helpful to be concentrating on a smaller monthly plan rather than look at my lengthy quarter list.  This month, I'm going to set myself weekly quilting goals. Where I seem to bog down in the finish process is estimating the time it will take me to complete a step in the process. In the past, I would start a new project while I waited for that light bulb moment to happen with the stalled project. The problem with that approach is that I often would get stalled on the next project too!!!! Hence, I created so many Works In Progress (WIPs) that ended up becoming Projects In Grocery bags (PIGs) or UnFinished Objects (UFOs). With the death of my friend, Martha, I've taken on a few of her projects too. So how many projects are there? I don't know and I really don't want to know!
Marci Girl Designs
Stumbling across Finish-A-Long has been such a positive in that I've finished projects that have been laying about for years. I am thankful for the moderators that keep it going and for all the sponsors that provide rewards at the end of each quarter. I've won a reward a couple of times which has been really cool. I've won fabric and I've won a ruler template. I've shared about the fabric and I will share about the ruler template. Most of all, I enjoy reading about others' finishes and seeing their quarter goal lists. It is inspiring to see what others create. There is camaraderie knowing there are others out there with big lists and repeating items too!

One of my monthly goals is to quilt the square in a square border in the mystery BOM quilt and to quilt the sashing on each side of the border. I am waiting for inspiration to strike. I might have a plan for the sashing; but, at the time of this post, I haven't a solid idea for the square in a square border. I hope ideas pop into my head soon. I also hope that I don't spend another 24 days on that section like I did on the center section last month!
Sandal project ready for hand stitching

In the meantime, I plan to stitch the sandals that my friend, Martha, had a box of parts and fabrics selected for this project. Last month, I cut out at six pairs; but, didn't get to the stitching.  I had a small piece of polyester batting in the leftover box that I used to layer with the lining and outer pieces of the shoe.

For future pairs, I will need to invest in more polyester batting. I will also look through the bias tape packages that were in my grandmother's stash for any colors that will work for this project. I do like to use her bias tape stash in my projects especially when the finished project will be a gift. She was a giving person and was always sending a note, taking a casserole or dropping off a meaningful item to someone she deemed "in need."

If I don't have the right color of bias tape, I'll cut some fabric. The little edge of the shoe is where the binding is stitched and it is applied like a binding so there will be some handwork involved.
Hot pad project
When I was waiting for inspiration to strike about what to quilt in the center section of the mystery quilt, I looked through the hot pad project. I decided that rather than trace off the hexagon size--these are 5/8 inch--I would order the papers and an acrylic template from Paper Pieces. My order arrived so I have started the project!

I'll keep working on the alphabet/words project. This month, I'll print another 80 pages of reference guide. I'll stitch another set of words that I have refined a bit. It is helpful to "dabble" more frequently with the embroidery.

I slacked off a bit with the bullet journal last month; but, I've reassessed my issue and revamped the process a bit so it will be easier to use it. I have found value with the bullet journal.  I've taken the jump to down size my planner to a much smaller one that will easily fit in my purse! More to come on the journaling process.
Working on the embroidered words

I'll also work on the Karen Kay Buckley top that I started in a class with her last May. Last month, I reacquainted myself with the project. . .in other words, I figured out what my next step should be!

I started two new projects. I cut out the pieces for one project at the beginning of the month. I read a blog about a sew a long on Gigi's Thimble. The pattern looked simple and I realized I had the supplies on hand. I had a bunch of two inch squares in a tray that I have petted, spilled, petted some more; but, haven't used. Martha had a piece of yellow/gold fabric that would make the center design. Over time, I have "collected" bits of cream background fabrics.  It isn't the size that my freezing daughter in London needs; but, making it will free up some space to access the fabric that I have had squirreled away for her.
Make progress on this top

I also pulled some fabrics to play along with the Bonnie Hunter mystery.  For about the last five years, I've thought about playing along; but, always got hung up on choosing the fabrics.  Bonnie is great about using scraps. I've collected a lot of scraps so the time has come to use the bits and chunks.

Bonnie provides a photo of some paint chips of fabrics that she used in her project as well as listing the page of the color on the Ultimate Color tool. I don't have the yardage needed for the project; but, I hope that I have some "precuts" that will work into the project when she releases the cutting instruction. If not, it won't be the end of the world if I purchase some fabric.

I might not get to other projects on my quarter list; but, rest assured I'm going to have fun stitching! Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Janice Smith said...

I love your BOM quilt and your disciplined approach to accomplishing work each month. You're an inspiration; unfortunately, it hasn’t rubbed off on me. :-()

I’m not sure whether I will do the Bonnie Hunter project, but I’d like to do so since I learned a few things and picked up some tips last time. If I do work on it. I may choose different colors.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Janice, you are much too kind with your compliment about my disciplined approach . . .I'm just happy to be making progress!!!! I do hope you play with Bonnie's mystery too!

She Quilts It said...

You are so sweet to finish Martha's projects along with yours. Reading your list of to-do items makes my head swim, though! Good job on all the progress.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

This week I've been working on those slippers and just about have them finished to the embellishment stage. Well, at least two pairs could be embellished. Martha was creative with her embellishments!!! Now if a quilting plan would just come together for that border!!!!