Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Four Mini Stockings--Second Finish for 4th Quarter Finish A-Long

Here it is the end of October. I had planned to accomplish so much more than I did this month; but I still made progress on my list which is TERRIFIC! I did complete two finishes. I also met my goal of quilting the center of the BOM mystery quilt. As for the other three listed projects, I worked a bit on each one. A finish for those will also happen. . .just when is yet to be determined!
The mini stockings
I was going through a scrap bag of my friend, Martha, and discovered a plastic bag with four mini stockings cut out along with a paper pattern. She often made little items like these for gift giving. It looked like from the paper pattern that there was a contrasting cuff, heel and toe. I rummaged through my small scraps and found a piece of red fabric for the contrasting items and a little piece of Silk Radiance for the lining. I even had some ribbon in my stash for the hangers. Robert Kaufman stopped producing Silk Radiance. I only purchased it twice; but, I loved using it. I wish I had purchased more; but, that is a story for another time.

There were no directions about how to proceed. I sketched a pattern for the contrasting cuff, toe and heel and cut out enough pieces for four stockings. I cut out the lining pieces.

Then it was time to start stitching! I topstitched the contrasting pieces to the stocking first. I figured out where I wanted the hanger and stitched it into the cuff. I stitched the lining to the top of the stocking and under stitched it. When I completed that step, I moved on to stitching the lining to the stocking. I left a small section unstitched and used that hole to turn the stocking right side out. It didn't take long to hand stitch that two inch section closed. I stuffed the lining into the sock. I pressed the stockings and they were finished! Hooray!!!
Parts in progress

These could be tree ornaments filled with a little treasure for a special somebody. They could be part of a holiday place setting or perhaps, they could end up decorating a special package.

Each stocking is about three inches wide and about six inches high. I figure that I might have used about a fat eighth of fabric; but, the amount is so small that I'll roll the amount into a finish using more fabric. This is my second finish and goal number 22 on my Fourth Quarter goal list.

Stockings ready for duty
This month, I trained 26 in Basic Life Support (268 YTD); 47 in swimming lessons ( 81 YTD), 19 in CPR for the Lay Responder (26 YTD). This is a total of 92 for October. (489 YTD). I worked as a sub on a Saturday morning and in three hours 47 was the number of participants that came to the six classes I taught. If I were to count the parent that came with the child to the parent/child lessons, I would have taught 62 people! My new black suit swam just fine!


2 comments:

Leanne said...

These are adorable! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2018 global FAL hosts.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for your comment and for dropping by Leanne!