Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Miss K's Jean Skirt--Ninth Finish 3rd Quarter 2018 Finish-A-Long

Dirt stain
I couldn't stitch a jean like skirt for Miss J and not stitch one for Miss K! Originally, I planned to only stitch Miss K a gingham skirt with lots of ruffles or lots of swing. Miss K and I did stitch one of those. I had enough leftover fabric to stitch a gingham skirt for Miss J. That gingham fabric is a project for another day! Hey, a girl can't have too many skirts, can she?
Laundering the fabric

I saw this remnant of cotton duck on the opening day of the Hobby Lobby store in Clackamas, Oregon. I haven't seen printed cotton duck so that caught my eye. I originally thought this fabric was destined for a back pack; but, the half yard wasn't enough. I decided it would make a good skirt.

I unwrapped the fabric and was immediately disappointed because there were stains all over it. To be fair, the fabric package was marked "dirt stains" which I had read as "duck stain pattern." Of course, duck stain pattern doesn't make any sense!

Remaining scraps
At any rate, I sprayed a product on the dirt spots to loosen them. Then, I used Dawn dish detergent. Both products seemed to lift the stain. Then I laundered the piece. It all came out! Whew! Then again had the stains not come out, I wasn't out a load of cash--the fabric cost $3.47!

I did miss the sizing that was in the fabric originally; but, I sprayed the fabric with some of Mary Ellen's Best Press before ironing it. The Best Press worked great!

After cutting the pieces of the skirt out of the fabric, I had a small amount of scraps left. One piece is about 10 inches by four inches and one piece is about 16 inches by three inches. I'd say I got the most out of that half yard!

As I worked through the steps of the pattern, I had one of those times where I stitched almost every step incorrectly! After plenty of practice with the seam ripper, I did complete the front and the back of the skirt.

I inserted a piece of elastic and after I stretched it into place, the elastic lost its ability to snap back. So I ripped that piece and replaced it with a better quality elastic.

Finished back of skirt
The following session, I stitched the side seams, and the hem. I added the belt loops, a button and a buttonhole. The button came from my grandmother's button box! I like being able to add a touch of her to project any time I can. She taught me to sewing, cooking, gardening, preserving over the years. I had a finish!!! I used half a yard of fabric. I have now used 26 1/8 yards of fabric from my stash and have 22 7/8 yards left to meet my goal of using 50 yards of fabric from my stash this year. This was goal number three on my third quarter Finish-A-Long list. It is my ninth finish for the quarter!

The question is whether I can keep this skirt undercover until Miss K's birthday next May. Honestly, I rather doubt it!!!!
Finished front of skirt

2 comments:

Lynne said...

More surprise gifts, and so cleverly made from bits! Congrats on more finishes!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Lynne for your kind comment and for dropping by to visit. It has been so hard to keep this gift under wraps!!!!!!