Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Iron Station Recover--11th Finish for 4th Quarter Finish-A-Long (FAL) 2017


The before photo with the new muslin
Tools for the job
Recovering the ironing station was goal number 20 on my 4th Quarter Finish-A-Long List. This was a job that should have been done several years ago! Removing the staples that secured the fabric to the table surface, didn't take as much effort as I had remembered from the last time that I did this.

B ready to staple the last side of the cover
When I pealed off the old cover, parts of it disintegrated. I shouldn't have waited as long as I did. Next, I laid the muslin fabric on top of the table. I just tore the fabric to the approximate size that I wanted which was fast and easy.

I've several layers of polyester yardage that was in my grandmother's stash as padding for the table.















                                                                      Then I asked my dear sweet husband, B, for the staple gun. He brought me three--each one has a different length of staple. He looked over the project. I showed him how I planned to staple the fabric to the table and asked which of the three did he think would be the best option. As I was holding the fabric to the table, he reached over and selected a stapler. Next, he stapled while I held the fabric taut.

I really appreciated that he stepped in to complete the stapling for me without me asking. He is thoughtful like this every day. He's a gem! It took him less time to staple than it did for me to pull the staples, cut the cover and position it! I really appreciated his help. Plus his corners were much better than mine! If the job would have been left to me, I still might be "in process!"
The after photo
Now, I'm looking forward to pressing on this clean surface! Thanks again B for helping me with this finish!! I used 1 and 3/4 yards of stash fabric which brings my yearly total to 43 3/4 yards. I'm inching closer to my 50 yard goal!

Since finishing this project, I learned another quilter covers her table with an outdoor fabric because she says that it lasts longer. Perhaps, the next time I approach this job, I'll check into that option. Dear readers, what do you use to cover your ironing surface?




















4 comments:

Unknown said...

I used a natural canvas for mine. I don't remember if it was a duck canvas, but I think it was. It was whatever Joann's had. I don't remember how many years ago I made it, but it was several (probably 5 or 6) and it's stained, but no sign of deterioration of the fabric. I'll probably replace the canvas at some point because of the staining, but it's still working great for me as it is.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, one of my friends covered her ironing surface with canvas duck and it seems to be holding up well. I used the muslin because I was gifted a bolt of it. It lasted at least four years so I can't complain about the price! :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

What a wonderful helper and nice finish! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Lucy, my helper is truly the best part of my life. Thanks for checking out my finish. I'm enjoying pressing on a clean surface and love that I've managed to keep it clear so I can view that clean surface! Thanks for your support of 2017 FAL!