Sunday, September 24, 2017

Pillow Cases--3rd Finish for Third Quarter Finish Along ( FAL) 2017

Close up of pieced band
As I write this post, the chicken is drying. . .it is not without issues. . .a red fabric bled onto a white fabric. Yes, I had rinsed all the blocks as I had finished each block to check just for this very issue. Synthropol didn't have much if any effect on the area. Dawn dish detergent helped lighten it; but, it is still evident to me that there was a problem there. Oh and there are other bleeding spots. Those areas are smaller. I'm sad; but, I plan to still finish and enjoy the quilt. I'm thinking about applying some paint to that area to see if the bleeding will be less evident.

This morning, I wrote most of the label. Then I tried to remember what fabrics I had planned for the facing and hanging sleeve. As I was looking at the fabrics, I remembered that I had planned to stitch a couple pillow cases from the extra chicken fabric as one of my Finish-A-Long goals for the third quarter of the year. You can read about my list here. 

Originally, I had purchased the feather fabric to be the binding the chicken; but, it was just too whimsical. I do plan to use a piece of it for the sleeve. When I cut the fabrics, I wanted the feathers to be up and down around the pillow case band. Unfortunately, the print went the other way and I only had a yard of fabric. You need 40 inches of fabric for the band. So I pieced it. I found that the print wasn't all that straight; but, I managed to get enough width.

Two finished pillow cases
It didn't take long to stitch the two pillow cases and perhaps, tomorrow, the chicken will be dry enough to stitch the facing. I sure would like to finish that project before the end of the month! One pillow case I'll give away and the other will house the chicken when it isn't hanging on the wall.

This is finish number three for the quarter. (Last quarter I only managed one finish so I'm definitely doing better this time!) These pillow cases were goal number 10 on the list.

I used two yards of fabric from my stash to make these pillow cases. I used one quarter of a yard from my stash to piece the back of the crib quilt I posted about here. I used a yard of fabric to stitch Miss K's halter dress. This brings the total of fabric used from my stash to 30 and one quarter yards this year. My goal is to use 50 yards. I'm getting there! :)

If you would like to participate in the FAL, go to this link and follow the directions. The first of October you will be able to post your intentions! I get inspired with the projects that others post and having a list helps me to keep working on those projects that have been in process in my sewing space!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had some trouble with running on your chicken quilt! That's so difficult after so much work went into making it!! I hope it's not very noticeable and that, if you try the paint, it works. So great to have such an important finish! A lot of work went into this one and you should be proud of every stitch! I can't wait to see the final pictures!!

She Quilts It said...

I had a red fabric run on a Baltimore album quilt that I had worked on for 10 years. Aagh!! My mother in law taught me to use dissolved Efferdent to get out stains, so I soaked the quilt in the tub with a bunch of tablets. It pretty much worked; although a judge did comment on the fugitive dye.

Now, I test all of my red fabrics by snipping a 1" square AFTER I prewash the fabric, and sew it face down to a white piece of fabric. I get the whole thing wet. If the red runs, I treat it a second time. If it still runs after that, I throw it out.

Luann Fischer said...

Terry,
Check out Vickie Welsh and her post about 'help save my bleeding quilt'. She did a very detailed testing to determine that fabrics need to be soaked in the hotlist water for 12!!! Hours to ensure all migrant dye is out. I actually took out some of mine that I thought were fine, and sure enough, the 'witching hour' is between 11&12!!! Be sure to use fabric paint so you don't get a 'stiffened ' area, if you decide to paint it. Don't ask how I know that one!!! Lol

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nancy, I think the bleeding is noticeable. A person I asked for input thought it wasn't. . .another agreed with my thought. It just means that I get work through this issue. . .what is another few weeks or month to the finish??? Thanks for your support!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Joanne, what a great plan for the test and use of Efferent! I think I'll not get it wet again. As for the test, I had rinsed the block after I had finished with the appliqué and the fabrics didn't run. I think that our water has more chlorine in it now than then so I'm thinking that had an effect on the fabrics. Live and learn. . .I've learned a lot through this project! :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Luann, I have read Vickie's post. I haven't tried it. I've taken the following approach: prewash fabric in hot water, if it bleeds. Wash again. . .if it bleeds again. . .out it goes! Thanks for the heads up about the paint!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

What fun fabric and a great idea to house the quilt in one when it's not being displayed! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for stopping by Lucy! Yes, it is easier to find the quilt when the pillow case has some of the fabric of the quilt and the pillow case protects the quilt from dust. Plus. . .the process uses a little bit of the leftovers! It is a win win all the way around!